Integrated library workflows
WorldShare provides a complete set of library management applications and platform services built on an open, cloud-based platform. WorldShare offers integrated management of library workflows and creates new efficiencies as libraries share work, data and resources to save money and deliver value to their users.
A single, cloud-based platform
Services and applications are built on the OCLC WorldShare Platform, a global, interconnected Web architecture that provides flexible, open access to WorldCat data. A consistent set of business- and data-level web services and downloadable data sets lets libraries, developers and partners build and share applications that streamline and enhance library workflows.
Just as WorldCat provides a centralized resource for library data, WorldShare provides a centralized library services platform for managing activities, service delivery and workflows. OCLC is moving all library management tasks onto a single platform where data and activities can be efficiently reused in as many situations as possible, reducing effort and saving time for library staff.
In addition to OCLC-built services, partners and developers also build applications using WorldShare and WorldCat data services, APIs and other programming tools.
WorldShare services include:
WorldShare Management Services is an integrated suite of cloud-based library management and discovery applications, offering librarians a comprehensive and cost-effective way to manage library workflows efficiently, and improve access to library collections and services.
- WorldShare Metadata: A complete metadata solution that improves workflow efficiency and collection visibility.
- WorldShare Interlibrary Loan: Integrated discovery and delivery of electronic, digital and print materials within a single interface.
- WorldShare Acquisitions: Unified selection and acquisition management for all physical and electronic resources.
- WorldShare Circulation: A complete circulation application that's easy to learn and works on any laptop, tablet or device with a web browser.
- WorldShare License Manager: A central system for storing, sharing and managing information about licensed materials.
The WorldShare Platform
Empower your developers with the same data and web services that OCLC uses to create its own applications.
Industry-leading tools and data at your fingertips
The WorldShare Platform is an open, cloud-based infrastructure that supports integration of applications from OCLC and other library service providers. The WorldShare Platform provides access to library data and functionality for use with new and existing applications to increase the visibility and use of library collections and services.
Built by developers, for developers
The WorldShare platform provides a consistent and usable experience for developers seeking to access the data and functionality available in OCLC's data sets, web services and APIs. It relies upon a set of guiding architectural principles that create consistency among our web services.
The APIs, web services and data sets available from OCLC fall into a few general categories:
- Research & Experimentation. OCLC makes services available that explore our experiments reimagining subject headings, the relationships between bibliographic items or the harvesting of identities and transformation of library authority files into linked data.
- WorldCat data and functionality is available through web services, APIs and Linked Data. Learn more about WorldCat data related to metadata management, electronic resources and even libraries themselves.
- WorldShare ILL APIs provide libraries and partners tools to facilitate article sharing and resource sharing policies.
- WorldShare Management Services data and functionality is available to help libraries operate more efficiently. Learn more about data related to acquisitions, item availability, pulllists, circulation operations, and patron account information.
If you work with libraries, we want to work with you
OCLC has, for over forty years, been in the business of acting as a trusted steward of high quality cataloging data and other information assets that support the mission of libraries. In a 21st century cloud computing environment, we are opening access to data entities in WorldCat and other OCLC systems that have historically been mediated through a limited number of OCLC and partner interfaces.
The WorldShare Platform is "vendor-neutral" because, as a non-profit, OCLC works towards the best interest of the library community. We work to support whatever technology choices make the most sense for our members.
Connect, discuss, experiment and share
The OCLC Developer Network supports the use of the WorldShare Platform by facilitating dialogue, collaboration and sponsoring events such as mashathons/hackathons and workshops. Developer Network staff works right alongside the WorldShare Platform development team, which supports the infrastructure of the Platform, creates guidelines for consistency across services, and develops tools that improve the use of the WorldShare Platform.
The Developer Network team also works with individual product teams to identify requirements and use cases for new web services, provide feedback from the community on current web services, and to facilitate the documentation and announcement of each service and new release. If you have questions or suggestions about the Developer Network, please let us know at email@example.com.
Who can use the OCLC WorldShare Platform?
Access to the WorldShare App Gallery is open to everyone. Developers at libraries with active subscriptions to one or more OCLC products can access any of the Web Services available through the WorldShare Platform in a test environment. To move an app into production, a library must secure a license for the service—typically a subscription to the relevant product.
If you have developers at your institution—related to the library or not—enlist their participation in this community through the OCLC Developer Network.
Want to learn more? Let's talk.
Get in touch with a member representative today to find out how WorldShare can help free your library from the restrictions of local hardware and software to provide more time to focus on serving users and communities.
or call +44 (0)114 267 7500