Total Cost of Stewardship: Responsible Collection Building in Archives and Special Collections
By OCLC Research Library Partnership’s Collection Building and Operational Impacts Working Group
Developed by the OCLC Research Library Partnership’s (RLP) Collection Building and Operational Impacts Working Group, Total Cost of Stewardship is a framework that proposes a holistic approach to understanding the resources needed to responsibly acquire and steward archives and special collections. The Total Cost of Stewardship Framework responds to the ongoing challenge of descriptive backlogs in archives and special collections by connecting collection development decisions with stewardship responsibilities.
This OCLC Research report is a collection of resources designed to support archives and special collections in making informed, shared collection building decisions; bring together collection management and collection development considerations; and support communication between colleagues in curatorial, administrative, and technical services roles.
The collection of materials published includes:
- An OCLC Research report: Total Cost of Stewardship: Responsible Collection Building in Archives and Special Collections
- The Total Cost of Stewardship Tool Suite, comprising of a set of Communication Tools, Cost Estimation Tools, and a Manual to guide end users in implementing the Tool Suite.
- An annotated bibliography of related resources
Session presented at Society of American Archivists Annual Meeting; Accessioning, Appraisal, and Acquisition Section to introduce the Total Cost of Stewardship publication.
Topics: Research Library Partnership
This webinar will introduce OCLC’s new publication Total Cost of Stewardship: Responsible Collection Building in Archives and Special Collections and offer insights on building a resource-sensitive collecting program from Emory’s Rose Library.
Topics: Works in Progress, Archives and Special Collections
OCLC Research encourages the reuse and distribution of our work by providing it with a CC By 4.0 license. For your convenience we have created Power Point slides for the most requested images, complete with suggested citation. Please feel free to use these slides in your presentations or publications without the need to request further permission.
- Report (.pdf)
- Annotated Bibliography (.pdf)
- Manual (.pdf)
- Quick Cost Estimator (.xlsx)
- Operational Impact Estimator (.xlsx)
- Communication Tools (.pdf)
- Communication Tools Templates (.docx)
- Image Gallery (.ppt)