The OCLC Research Library Partnership
Connecting you to a shared future.
Cooperative innovation that makes your library more valuable, operating processes more efficient, and shapes new distinctive services.
Research Library Partnership: Research Data Management Interest Group
The OCLC Research Library Partnership invites members to engage in a Research Data Management (RDM) Interest Group, offered in conjunction with the three-part webinar series The Realities of Research Data Management. RDM is an important and timely topic for many RLP members. Our goal is to mobilize a network of Partners with a shared interest in RDM. The interest group will help participants explore and exchange information on RDM-related topics with peers and OCLC researchers.
What is the RDM group?
- The RDM Interest Group is an opportunity for RLP members to engage directly with OCLC Research and other RLP member institutions worldwide.
- Interest group members will participate in once-a-month WebEx calls (in multiple time zones).
- An accompanying listserv will further enable participants to share practices, ask and answer questions, and engage together between meetings.
Why should I attend?
- Our goal is to provide a forum for RLP institutions to engage directly with OCLC Research and with each other, using the RDM frameworks offered in The Realities of Research Data Management report series to explore local conditions, understand practices of other research institutions, and plan service offerings.
- Interest group discussions will be based upon the three-part webinar series (details below). Expected topics of discussion include:
Part 1: Understanding RDM needs and requirements at local institutions, and identifying your current offerings
Part 2: Exploring the factors influencing the development of RDM services, including the examination of local and external incentives
Part 3: Sourcing RDM services: do you build or buy? We will also talk about strategies for developing a local RDM solution that fits local needs.
- In turn, this offers OCLC researchers an opportunity to learn from librarians and other RDM practitioners, which helps inform future research and programming.
When is it?
- This opportunity will take place October through December 2018, with the potential for continuing member engagement.
- Following registration, we will arrange one Webex call per month, following webinar sessions, in multiple time zones.
Who should attend?
- This opportunity is open to librarians and other RDM stakeholders at OCLC Research Library Partnership institutions. Anyone with responsibilities or interest in RDM is welcome; early career librarians are particularly encouraged to join us.
- The webinar series and interest group discussions will be facilitated by Senior Program Officer Rebecca Bryant and Senior Research Scientist Brian Lavoie, co-authors of The Realities of Research Data Management report series.
How do I sign up?
- Register and participate in the RDM interest group. We request that you sign up by 2 October.
- Register and attend the three-part webinar series on The Realities of Research Data Management.
- Understanding Institutional Research Data Management (RDM) Services 2 October 2018, 11:00 am EDT (UTC -4)
- Identifying and Acting on Incentives When Planning RDM Services 13 November 2018 11:00 am EST (UTC -5)
- Acquiring RDM Services for Your Institution 4 December 2018, 11 am EST (UTC -5)
- That’s it for now! We will follow up with you to schedule interest group meetings and enroll you in the listserv.
- Guide 1: Understanding Institutional Research Data Management
- Guide 2: Identifying RDM Incentives
- Guide 3: Acquiring RDM Services for Your Institution
Questions? Contact Rebecca Bryant at email@example.com.