OCLC WorldShare™ Management Services
The first cooperative management service for libraries
Creating a different future for library services
OCLC WorldShare Management Services provide a unified, Web-based environment that streamlines acquisitions, circulation, license management and metadata management workflows and offers a powerful discovery and delivery tool for library users.
Both replacing and standing apart from traditional ILS systems, OCLC’s cloud-based library management services enable libraries to share infrastructure costs and resources as well as to collaborate in new ways.
"We wanted a library management system that was cutting-edge. Moving to WorldShare Management Services is going to allow us to keep pace with current and emerging trends in technology and take full advantage of new developments and applications created specifically for libraries as they become available."
Steve Shorb, Dean of the Criss Library, The University of Nebraska Omaha. [The 100th “live” WMS library.]
Launched for general release in July 2011, more than 120 libraries are now actively using WorldShare Management Services, with more signing up every month. As more libraries subscribe, the benefits for each individual library are enhanced due to the cooperative nature of these services.
Here’s why libraries are choosing to join the WorldShare Management Services community:
- Shared data. Connects library workflows to the massively aggregated, collective ldata in WorldCat, eliminating silos and improving efficiencies.
- Entirely Web-based applications. Cloud-based technology means there’s no need to purchase hardware or manage local servers and software, enabling the reallocation of resources to more important projects.
- Radically-improved workflows. Seamless integration of ordering, receiving and cataloging saves librarians time.
- Intuitive and streamlined staff interface. Common interface manages all physical and electronic materials more efficiently.
- Google-like searching. Enhanced end-user discovery with WorldCat Local is included enabling users to do a single search across a library’s full array of resources.
- Increased visibility on the Web. OCLC partnerships redirect users from the Web straight to libraries—helping to support users at their point of need.
- OCLC is a worldwide library cooperative. A not-for-profit cooperative managed and owned by libraries, OCLC represents library interests in the wider information environment.
OCLC WorldShare Management Services: In libraries now. Ready for your library today.
Contact us to determine the implementation timeframe that is right for your library or group.
“From its inception, we have engaged member libraries to advise us every step of the way. It is truly the ongoing result of collective innovation.”
Andrew K. Pace, OCLC Executive Director of Networked Library Services
Results–and Revelations–from OCLC WorldShare Management Services Libraries
Julie Pinnell, Director of Perkins Library at Doane College, describes her library's migration to WMS and the positive impact it has had on their staff and users.
Watch this space for Worldshare Management Services events.