- Preservation Metadata: Implementation Strategies (PREMIS) (PPT:188K/24 slides)
Rebecca Guenther (Library of Congress) at the IS&T Archiving Conference.
April 28, 2005
- Preservation Metadata: The PREMIS Experience (PPT:187K/27 slides)
Priscilla Caplan (Florida Center for Library Automation) at Cornell University Libraries.
- Metadata for Digital Preservation: A Status Report on PREMIS (PPT:194K/37 slides)
Priscilla Caplan (Florida Center for Library Automation) and Nancy Hoebelheinrich (Stanford U.) at CNI Fall Task Force Meeting
December 6-7, 2004
- The PREMIS Working Group: Preservation Metadata for Digital Repositories (PPT:462K/25 slides)
Rebecca Guenther (Library of Congress, Network Development and MARC Standards Office) at DLF Fall Forum
October 26, 2004
- Practical Preservation
Summer 2005 article forthcoming in Library Trends Volume 54, Number 1, by Priscilla Caplan (FCLA) and Rebecca Guenther (Library of Congress).
- PREMIS - Preservation Metadata Implementation Strategies Update 2: Core Elements for Metadata to Support Digital Preservation
December 2004 article in RLG DigiNews by Rebecca Guenther (Library of Congress)
- PREMIS - Preservation Metadata - Implementation Strategies Update 1. Implementing Preservation Repositories for Digital Materials: Current Practice and Emerging Trends in the Cultural Heritage Community
October 2004 article in RLG DigiNews by Priscilla Caplan (Florida Center for Library Automation)
- Implementing Preservation Repositories For Digital Materials: Current Practice And Emerging Trends In The Cultural Heritage Community (PDF:668K/66pp.)
September 2004 report of a PREMIS survey conducted in Winter 2003-04.
- Implementing Metadata in Digital Preservation Systems: The PREMIS Activity.
April 2004 report by Brian Lavoie (OCLC) on the objectives, current status, and future activities of PREMIS. D-Lib Magazine.
- The Open Archival Information System Reference Model: Introductory Guide. (PDF:372K/20pp.)
January 2004 joint report of the Digital Preservation Coalition (DPC) and OCLC, published electronically as a DPC Technology Report.
- A Metadata Framework to Support the Preservation of Digital Objects (PDF:696K/54pp.)
June 2002 white paper by the OCLC/RLG Working Group on Preservation Metadata.
- Preservation Metadata for Digital Objects: A Review of the State of the Art (PDF:191K/50pp.)
January 2001 white paper by the OCLC/RLG Working Group on Preservation Metadata.
- PADI - Preservation Metadata
Bibliography of preservation metadata resources.
Preservation Metadata Schema
- National Library of New Zealand (PDF:260K/42pp.)
National Library of New Zealand's description of the data elements needed to support the preservation of digital objects.
Object-Specific Metadata Initiatives
The following resources describe initiatives developing technical metadata for specific types of digital objects:
- Library of Congress Digital Audio-Visual Prototyping Project
Explores aspects of digital preservation for audio and video, including metadata and repository systems design.
- NISO Committee: Technical Metadata for Digital Still Images
This initiative is aimed at defining metadata to describe the capture process and technical characteristics of digital still images for the purpose of short- and long-term management in a digital collection.
- IEEE: Learning Object Metadata Working Group
This initiative is developing a standard for a conceptual scheme that defines the structure of a metadata instance for a learning object. The metadata instance describes relevant characteristics of the learning object to which it applies; these characteristics can be grouped into general, educational, technical, and classification categories.
Updated: 20 May 2005