WorldCat Cataloging Partners at a glance
Through a collaborative effort with materials vendors, corresponding OCLC-MARC records are delivered with the materials you order through participating vendor partners. Additionally, your library’s holdings are set automatically in WorldCat.
- Get materials to users faster thanks to effective, automated delivery of OCLC-MARC records
- Improve cataloging efficiency by reducing the time your staff spends editing records, handling titles and searching for records on multiple systems
- Reduce training demands—once WorldCat Cataloging Partners is incorporated into your processes, little additional training is required
- Save staff time and contribute to WorldCat by having your holdings information set automatically
- Make your collection visible on the web by having your library’s holding symbol automatically attached to your WorldCat Cataloging Partner records
WorldCat Cataloging Partners lets you choose from a variety of options that best suit your needs at no additional cost.
- Record options—Delivery of records is based on cataloging source and encoding level. If you want only DLC records, WorldCat Cataloging Partners will deliver only DLC records. If you don’t want CIP records, you won’t get them.
- Data added to records—Additional data such as invoice date, net price, barcodes, and other local data can be added to your bibliographic records, allowing your local system to create order and item records automatically.
- Partnering data record—WorldCat Cataloging Partners can produce a Partnering Data Record (PDR) to carry vendor data when a full record is not delivered or not found. A PDR can also be delivered in place of a record when another institution in your shared local catalog has already received the record.
- Call numbers and constant data—Copy call numbers to any field and add up to fifty constant data notes to your records.
- Label files—OCLC can provide electronic files of spine and pocket labels for your WorldCat Cataloging Partners records. Choose LC, NLM or Dewey call numbers, and then retrieve the files and print labels using OCLC's Cataloging Label Program, or have your vendor do it before shipping.
- Time the setting of your holdings—Whether immediate or delayed, you choose the schedule. It's helpful when you want to avoid receiving ILL requests before materials have circulated within your own library.
- Record delivery—Receive full records and call number labels for added copies or, in shared-catalog situations, you can choose to receive just one copy of a full bibliographic record for your entire group. Choices for secure electronic delivery include OCLC's Product Services Web and EDX.
- Special features for Dewey libraries, too—If your library uses the Dewey Decimal Classification system, WorldCat Cataloging Partners adds your choice of Cutter Four-Figure number, Cutter-Sanborn Four-Figure number, or Text Cutter to Dewey call numbers. WorldCat Cataloging Partners also provides fiction and biography call numbers to add to your WorldCat Cataloging Partners records and include in your label files.
- Reports keep you informed—The WorldCat Cataloging Partners Cataloging Report, generated upon delivery of completed records, lists records delivered and details why some titles may not have been received. It’s handy for materials check-in and for comparison with an invoice or packing list. And WorldCat Cataloging Partners Web statistics let you use the Internet to view overall numbers and percentages for the past year.
- Complete MARC records—The cost for each MARC record you receive via WorldCat Cataloging Partners is covered under your OCLC Cataloging Subscription and includes searching, editing, setting a holding, local data transfer to bibliographic records, archiving, reports, statistics, and an electronic label file.
- Web-based order form—Signing up for the first time or adding new vendors is easy. Use the Online Service Center to order or modify existing WorldCat Cataloging Partners profiles.
How it works
- Your library orders materials from vendor partners
- Vendors then transmit the lists of titles ordered to OCLC
- OCLC sets your library holdings in WorldCat
- OCLC delivers your records and reports and the vendor delivers your new materials all at the same time
- Bibliographic Record Notification automatically delivers upgraded OCLC-MARC records to your library, allowing you to accept less-than-full-level records
- Connexion client further assists cataloging productivity by allowing offline editing on your workstation before exporting records
- CatExpress is a fast and easy copy cataloging solution, designed for any library that needs a streamlined tool for obtaining full MARC records and printing labels