The Terminology Services prototype was retired on 20 November 2015.
This prototype employed library and web standards to make the terms, relationships and other information in controlled vocabularies available as resources on the web. Since its release, the functionality of this prototype was largely replaced by linked data services such as those offered by the Library of Congress and the U.S. National Library of Medicine. For this reason, it was retired. However, the FAST Linked Data service will continue to be accessible at http://experimental.worldcat.org/fast/.
Please see the list below for other sites/services that provide access to the controlled vocabularies that were accessible through the Terminology Services prototype.
- Book Industry Study Group Subject Headings (BISAC)
- Faceted Application of Subject Terminology (FAST subject headings)
- Form and genre headings for fiction and drama (GSAFD)
- Library of Congress Children's Subject Headings
- Library of Congress Genre/Form Terms (LCGFT)
- Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH)
- Medical Subject Headings (MeSH)
- Thesaurus for Graphic Materials
Terminology Services Overview
Controlled vocabularies, such as thesauri and subject heading systems, provide representations of people, places, events, and concepts. Any subject of speech, writing, or visual depiction, may be represented in a controlled vocabulary and used to describe and access resources such as books, photographs, and web sites.
This prototype enabled users to experiment with the vocabularies and services in a variety of ways, including:
- as a source of terms for social tagging
- for query refinement in search applications
- to provide context for a search term
- to validate names and subjects in metadata
Users could also use Terminology Services to build their own applications to:
- Search descriptions of controlled vocabularies
- Search for terms/headings in a controlled vocabulary
- Retrieve a single term/heading by its identifier
- View relationships for a term/heading including equivalence, hierarchical, and associative
- Retrieve terms/headings in multiple representations, such as HTML, MADS, MARC XML, SKOS, and Zthes.
- Terminology Services update (.ppt: 1 MB/23 slides) New Dimensions in Knowledge Organization Systems: A workshop sponsored by CENDI and the Networked Knowledge Organization Systems Working Group, hosted by the World Bank, 11 September 2008, Washington, DC
- Terminology Services Technical Overview (presentation) (.pdf 203kb/11 pp.)
- Summary Report: Terminologies Services Meeting, September 12th 2007, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City
- Terminologies Services Straw man (.pdf 41kb/5 pp.)
- Vizine-Goetz, Diane, Andrew Houghton, and Eric Childress. 2006. "Web Services for Controlled Vocabularies." Bulletin of the American Society for Information Science and Technology 35 no. 5 (June/July). Available online at: http://www.asis.org/Bulletin/Jun-06/vizine-goetz_houghton_childress.html [This article describes previous work which provided controlled vocabularies through the Microsoft Office (MS) Research task pane.]
- Vizine-Goetz, Diane, Carol Hickey, Andrew Houghton, and Roger Thompson. 2004. "Vocabulary Mapping for Terminology Services." Journal of Digital Information, 4,4 (March), article no. 272, 2004-03-11. Available online at: http://journals.tdl.org/jodi/article/view/114