WorldCat Metadata API
The WorldCat Metadata API is a read-write service for WorldCat that makes it possible to add or update master bibliographic records in WorldCat, maintain holdings information, and work with local bibliographic data.
- Status: Production
- Sandbox access: Yes
This service allows libraries to write MARCXML bibliographic records to WorldCat, either as new records or updated records that are replacing existing records. Existing WorldCat bibliographic records can be accessed with a read operation. The API enables an institution to set and delete its holdings on WorldCat bibliographic records. Local bibliographic data records can be created, read, updated, and deleted.
What you get
Included with the WorldCat Metadata API is API access to WorldCat with:
- WorldCat bibliographic records
- Local bibliographic data records
- Set and delete WorldCat holdings
Who can use it
- Libraries that participate in WorldCat.org through their Cataloging and FirstSearch subscriptions
- Partners interested in integrating WorldCat data into their software (contact our partnerships program)
Authentication & Authorization
API requests also require attribution to a WorldShare user. Details about on user-level authorization are available in the authentication and authorization overview.