WorldCat Search API
Give patrons access to materials beyond your library.
- Status: Production
- Sandbox access: Yes
WorldCat Search API 2.0 initial release available
The WorldCat Search API 2.0 supports much of the core functionality of the original WorldCat Search API in a streamlined JSON format. The API also allows enhanced access to local holdings record data across the cooperative, including shared print retention information.
As functionality is added to this version of the API, OCLC will announce sunset plans for the original version.
What you get
- Search WorldCat and retrieve bibliographic records for cataloged items such as books, videos, music and more in WorldCat.
- Retrieve single bibliographic records based on OCLC number, ISBN, ISSN, and other identifiers.
- Find out about libraries that hold an item based on OCLC number, ISBN, ISSN, and other identifiers.
- Find out about libraries that have committed to retain an item based on OCLC number, ISBN, ISSN, and other identifiers.
Who can use it
- Libraries that maintain a OCLC Cataloging and Metadata subscription (full cataloging) and a FirstSearch/WorldCat Discovery subscription. Both are required.
- Version 1.0 of this API has specific Terms and Conditions.
Commercial partnerships are also available (currently for version 1.0 only).