WorldCat Local—a webscale discovery solution
For decades, OCLC members have shared data and technology in order to take advantage of large-scale, network-effect benefits. Thousands of libraries contribute cataloging and resource sharing data in a worldwide, cooperative effort that allows every member to save time and money, create new service opportunities, share best practices and better serve their communities. OCLC's WorldShare Management Services (WMS) build on this unique relationship, taking the ideals and benefits of sharing into more areas of your library.
WorldCat Local provides the front-end user interface for WMS, giving your users with a webscale discovery service that leverages the strength of libraries worldwide alongside your unique, local resources. The advantages of OCLC WorldShare include:
- membership in a worldwide community of thousands of libraries;
- a cooperative infrastructure that leverages our combined strengths;
- continuous improvement of services;
- freedom from local hardware and software updates and maintenance, and;
- a global platform that allows for enhanced partnership opportunities.
OCLC members are using the first truly cooperative library management system. WorldCat Local gives your community a window into that extraordinary venture.