Assign subject headings faster and easier
FAST (Faceted Application of Subject Terminology) is derived from the Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH), and is one of the library domains most widely used subject terminology schemas. The development of FAST has been a collaboration of OCLC Research and the Library of Congress. Work on FAST began in late 1998.
FAST was developed in large part to meet the need for a general-use subject terminology scheme, which is:
- simple to learn and apply,
- faceted-navigation friendly,
- modern in its design, and
- maintains upward compatibility with LCSH.
FAST has evolved into a multi-faceted vocabulary with a universe of approximately 1.7 million headings across all facets. The facets are designed to be used together, but each may also be used independently.
Learn more about the FAST Research Project
Fast Policy and Outreach (FPOC) Committee
Established in September 2018, the joint committee of OCLC and FAST implementers acts as an advisory and outreach body. Their priority is to ensure FAST will be a fully supported, widely adopted and community developed general subject vocabulary derived from LCSH with tools and services that serve the needs of diverse communities and contexts.
If you would like to nominate yourself or a colleague for the FAST Policy and Outreach Committee, please complete this form.
Members of the FAST Policy and Outreach Committee (and organizations they represent) include:
- Jill Annitto, ATLA (American Theological Library Association)
- Heidy Berthoud, Smithsonian Libraries
- Chew Chiat Naun, Harvard University
- Alan Danskin, British Library
- Jesse Lambertson, University of Chicago, D’Angelo Law Library
- Steve McDonald, Tufts University and Program for Cooperative Cataloging (PCC)
- Dean Seeman, University of Victoria Libraries
- Becky Dean, OCLC
- Sandi Jones, OCLC
- Nathan Putnam, OCLC
- Diane Vizine-Goetz, OCLC
The Committee has two Co-Chairs: Jill Annitto of ATLA and Alan Danskin of the British Library.
Comments or questions? Please contact customer support
FAST (Faceted Application of Subject Terminology)