WorldCat® Local at a glance
WorldCat Local is a webscale discovery solution that delivers single-search-box access to more than 1.7 billion items from your library and the world's library collections. It connects people to all your library's materials—electronic and digital and physical—as well as to the delivery services that get them what they need.
- Content. Access to more than 1.7 billion items from authoritative content sources, including over 1.4+ billion articles. The exact content available to your users depends on your library's subscriptions.
- Single search box. One search can reach more than 2,055 databases or collections of bibliographic records.
- Delivery. Integrates with your current ILS, authentication and delivery services so your users can find it AND get it.
- Integrated link resolution. Inbound and outbound link resolution and an A to Z journal list let users quickly connect with the articles they need.
- Evaluative content. Help users evaluate sources quickly with more than 34 million pieces of evaluative content, including tables of contents, summaries, cover art, album covers, songs and notes included at no additional charge.
- Usability-tested. Ongoing enhancements based on extensive user experience testing.
- Visibility online. Partnerships with leading search engines (Google and Yahoo!), social networking services and other popular sites put you where your users are.
- No maintenance or IT staff required. No local hardware or software.
- Search results include multiple formats of materials such as electronic materials, digital items, databases, music, video, maps, journals, theses and print.
- Users can quickly link to online resources, place holds or request items, and borrow materials from other libraries.
- A locally-branded search box that can be placed on any Web page.
- Link resolution and an A to Z list built on the WorldCat knowledge base connects users to articles and synchronizes electronic resource holdings with records in the WorldCat database.
- Branch-level holdings displayed when Local Holdings Records (LHRs) are present.
- Social networking tools allow users to create and share lists, write reviews, rate items and more.
- Faceted browsing by author, format, year, audience, topic and more.
- Ten interface languages include: Czech, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Korean, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese and Spanish.
- Detailed usage statistics through a hosted tracking/metrics tool.
- Browser-based, mobile-specific version compatible with almost any phone.
- Brand the interface as your local library catalog with elements such as your logo and colors.
- Choose your custom WorldCat.org URL.
- Configure a group/consortial catalog as a second level of relevance in search results.
- Add links to local services such as your OpenURL resolver or virtual reference service.
- Integrate your library's local knowledge base of eContent holdings and electronic resource licensing data so users get to content faster.