The VIAF Council (VIAFC) held its Annual Meeting on 15 August 2014 during the IFLA World Library and Information Congress in Lyon, France. 2014 VIAFC Chair Brigitte Wiechmann (Deutsche Nationalbibliothek) presided over the meeting, during which the VIAFC:
- unanimously elected Beacher Wiggins (Library of Congress) to serve as VIAFC Chair-Elect in 2015 and VIAFC Chair in 2016,
- provided recommendations to OCLC on the draft guidelines for admission of contributors to VIAF, and
- discussed the 2014 Annual Report to the VIAF Council [pdf].
Highlights from the 2014 report include:
- VIAF Contributors grew from 19 agencies in 22 countries to 34 agencies in 29 countries since 2012.
- 8 new national libraries became VIAF Contributors in the last year. 24 national libraries now contribute to VIAF, and an additional 11 national libraries provide data to VIAF through federal library agencies, consortia or other arrangements, bringing the total of national libraries represented in VIAF to 35 national libraries from 30 countries.
- VIAF now includes two scholar-oriented Other Data Provider sources (Perseus Digital Library and the Syriac Reference Portal) and a multilingual data enrichment Other Data source (xR) OCLC Research Authority File.
- VIAF’s source data increased from 33.6 million to approximately 45 million authority records. In addition, 10 Million personal name source records have been added, the number of title records has increased from 1.7 million to 3.8 million, and the number of intra-source-file matches has increased from 43.5 million to 96.5 million.
- VIAF’s interface was refreshed and enhanced to include a map display and a Polish language interface.
At the close of the Annual Meeting, Brigitte Wiechmann was thanked for her service as 2014 VIAFC Chair, and Vincent Boulet (Bibliothèque nationale de France) began his term as 2015 VIAFC Chair.
Held since 2012, VIAFC Annual Meetings traditionally take place on the Friday preceding the IFLA World Library and Information Congress. The official minutes from the 2014 VIAFC Annual Meeting, including the complete roster of attendees, will be made available on the OCLC VIAF page soon.
For more information: