Michael Buckland named recipient of 2014 Frederick G. Kilgour Award for Research in Library Technology
This award, which is jointly sponsored by OCLC and the Library & Information Technology Association (LITA), a division of the American Library Association (ALA), is given for research relevant to the development of information technologies, especially work that shows promise of having a positive and substantive impact on any aspect(s) of the publication, storage, retrieval and dissemination of information, or the processes by which information and data is manipulated and managed.
Dr. Michael Buckland is recognized for his outstanding educational leadership and research in Library and Information Science. As professor of the School of Information at the University of California, Berkeley, Dr. Buckland led research in libraries, information retrieval, translingual search, bibliographic and metadata services, the history and theory of documentation, digital libraries and the representation of cultural heritage institutions.
As the 2014 Kilgour Award recipient, Dr. Buckland receives $2,000, a citation and travel expenses to attend the ALA Annual Conference in Las Vegas, Nevada, where his award will be presented on 29 June 2014.
Members of the 2014 Frederick G. Kilgour Award committee are:
- Erik Mitchell (Chair, July 1, 2013, to June 30, 2014)
- Brett Bonfield (Past-Chairperson, July 1, 2013, to June 30, 2014)
- Ms. Rebecca L. Mugridge (Member, July 1, 2013, to June 30, 2014)
- Kebede H. Wordofa (Member, July 1, 2013, to June 30, 2014)
- Dr. Tao Zhang (Member, July 1, 2013, to June 30, 2014)
- David Lee King (Board Liaison, July 1, 2011, to June 30, 2014)
- Mark A. Beatty (Staff Liaison, June 23, 2014, to June 30, 2015)
- Valerie Edmonds-Merritt (Staff Liaison, July 1, 2008, to June 30, 2014)
- Mary Taylor (Primary Staff Liaison, July 1, 2008, to June 30, 2014)
- Roy Tennant (OCLC Liaison, November 15, 2007, to June 30, 2014)
For more information:
Senior Communications Officer