Karen Smith-Yoshimura presents Registering Researchers in Authority Files at UC Berkeley on 6 December
If you're in the area, we hope you'll attend this free UC Berkeley I School Information Access Seminar presentation by OCLC Research Program Officer Karen Smith-Yoshimura at 107 South Hall from 3:10-5:00 p.m. PST on Friday, 6 December.
A number of approaches have emerged to address uniquely identifying all researchers, including those only partially represented in national name authority files because they primarily write journal articles or do not publish but contribute to data sets or other research activities. Authority databases, researcher identifier registries and researcher profile networks potentially overlap, and have created uncertainly in the library community regarding the challenges, benefits and trade-offs of each approach. The OCLC Research's Registering Researchers in Authority Files Task Group comprises specialists from the US, the UK, and the Netherlands who are engaged in uniquely identifying academic authors and researchers.
The goal of the OCLC Research Registering Researchers in Authority Files activity is to identify the
- benefits, needs and challenges for integrated author identification;
- approaches to effectively integrate multiple author identifier systems and to reconcile information from multiple sources; and
- models and workflows for registering and maintaining integrated author and researcher information.
The UC Berkeley I School Information Access Seminar takes place Fridays from 3-5 p.m. PST in 107 South Hall. The seminar explores selected advanced topics relating to "digital libraries" with special emphasis on:
- access to networked resources
- use of two or more resources in conjunction
- combined use of two or more retrieval systems (e.g. use of pre- or post-processing to enhance the capabilities)
- the redesign of library services.
See the UC Berkeley School of Information website for additional information.
For more information:
Registering Researchers in Authority Files Presentation at UC Berkeley Information Access Seminar [link]
UC Berkeley School of Information Friday Seminar Overview [link]
UC Berkeley School of Information [link]
OCLC Research Registering Researchers in Authority Files Activity [link]
OCLC Research Registering Researchers in Authority Files Task Group [link]
Karen Smith-Yoshimura [link]