VIAF Show and Tell Webinar for OCLC Research Library Partners, 12 December 2011 at 9 a.m. PST/12 Noon EST (UTC: 1700)
Follow or tweet this webinar with #viaf.
The Virtual International Authority File (VIAF) now comprises almost 20 million records from 24 different sources. In the last two months VIAF had over 70,000 visits from 147 countries/territories, with two-thirds "returning visitors." In addition, VIAF sees 6 million hits per month from automated systems such as Web harvesters or other programs retrieving VIAF information.
But how do people use VIAF? Join this 90-minute interactive WebEx session, when five OCLC Research Library Partner staff will "show and tell" their uses of VIAF:
- Using VIAF as the primary reference for LC/NACO authority work to differentiate names—Spencer Anspach, Indiana University
- Using VIAF to create a record in Fihrist, a multi-institutional Islamic manuscript catalog, incorporating the URI to an author's VIAF page—Alasdair Watson, Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- How VIAF helps researchers—Magda El-Sherbini, Ohio State University
- Using VIAF to identify provenance of rare books and adding VIAF links to images of bookplates, inscriptions and other marks of ownership in Flickr—Regan Kladstrup, University of Pennsylvania
- Using VIAF to identify issues in the VIAF matching process and how to respond and report them—Stephen Hearn, University of Minnesota
This free webinar is open to OCLC Research Library Partners only. Advanced registration is required.
- Register here* to attend this webinar on 12 December 2011 at 9:00 am PST/ 12:00 Noon EST (UTC 17:00).
- Try out the Virtual International Authority File for yourself.
*After you register to attend online, you will receive an e-mail message that contains instructions for logging on to WebEx, where you will view the VIAF demonstrations online through your Web browser (please note that WebEx recommends using Internet Explorer or Firefox, as Chrome and Safari are not supported). When you log in to the webinar, you may chose to either listen to the presentation audio through your computer speakers or headset, or dial in and listen by telephone.
If you have questions or need assistance, please call WebEx technical support directly by phone at US/Canada Toll-Free: +1 866 229-3239 or International Toll: +1 408 435-7088.
Register to attend the OCLC Research Library Partnership VIAF Show and Tell Webinar,
12 December 2011 at 9:00 am PST/ 12:00 Noon EST (UTC 17:00)
For OCLC Research Library Partners Only
Learn more about VIAF
Learn more about the OCLC Research Library Partnership
OCLC Research webinars
OCLC Research webinars in iTunes