Pears Database Software
The Pears Open Source software (OSS) project offers software that implements a Pears database layer. Pears databases have features that make them ideal for storing hierarchically structured data, such as bibliographic records, authority records and text documents. The software includes a stand-alone program to build a Pears database.
A rudimentary introduction to Pears is available via two links:
As of 2006 we are issuing software under the Apache License, Version 2.0.
If you would like to use this software under the Apache license, please contact us and we may be able to update the software to use the Apache license.
The pears source code in the CVS repository is divided into modules for ease of retrieval. The modules are:
- all - all the code
- RecordHandler - Java classes used to read records and convert them to DataDir trees
- pears - Java classes that implement the Gwen database interface
- pears_Bartlett - stand-alone database build program
- pears_IndexRoutines - classes for various types of indexing of stored text
- pears_SmartReplacement - classes to add "smart" style ranking information to a pears db
- pears_Util - Java classes encoding many of the functional parts of pears
You may download the complete pears code without using CVS for use or evaluation. This download is Release 1.1 of the software.
- Ralph LeVan