The SHARES Executive Group will be focusing time and effort on three themes and one activity throughout 2019-2020 that we hope will bring benefit to the consortium and to the entire resource sharing community.
The topics are:
- Accessibility of ILL materials
- Building resource sharing skill sets
- Advocating for resource sharing
- Lending e-books
As with the SHARES Policy Rethink from 2018-2019, the Executive Group will engage with SHARES participants around each topic in turn, beginning with Accessibility.
Accessibility is a huge topic with many parts, including:
- Americans with Disabilities Act compliance
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- Providing all material in accessible formats
The Executive Group proposes that SHARES participants join with us and with peers in other resource sharing consortia to work toward making all materials shared across our resource sharing networks universally accessible as a standard practice.
There is widespread interest across the ILL community, and important work is already being done in this area. Accessibility was a hot topic at the 2019 OCLC Resource Sharing Conference and at many other gatherings, including a recent BTAA conference.
SHARES can contribute to universal accessibility for ILL materials in a number of ways:
- By gathering and sharing information about current practice and available technology.
- By working to establish standards and best practices.
- By adding our collective voice to those advocating for making OCR’d ILL materials routine rather than the exception.
We look to you for your ideas, expertise and questions!
- What is current practice at your institutions regarding providing accessible research materials to ILL users -- your patrons and others?
- What scanners and software are you using to OCR ILL materials?
- Do you provide some other type of remediation or reformatting services beyond OCR?
- How are you managing user expectations and the labor-intensive nature of providing accessible materials?
- What presentations or other resources have helped inform your efforts?
- Have you been impacted by any new local policy or initiative in regards to the provision of accessible materials?
- What will best practice in making ILL materials accessible look like?
- What help do you need? What questions do you have?
Join the Discussion
The SHARES 2020 discussions are happening on the SHARES-L discussion listserv and open to everyone in the Research Library Partnership.
Throughout 2020, the SHARES Executive Group invites all SHARES participants to come together in conversation and action around four themes, starting with Making ILL Materials Accessible.
In 2018 and 2019, the SHARES Executive Group engaged with all SHARES participants in rethinking SHARES policies and values.