WorldCat Registry at a glance
OCLC's WorldCat Registry is a free Web tool that provides a single location from which any library can view data that describes its institutional identity and services, and update it in OCLC Service Configuration. Free Web services available through the WorldCat Affiliate site distribute Registry data across the Web, enhancing Web discovery of libraries' rich content and services.
- Easy-to-use Web interface that allows authorized library personnel to view data about their library, including: identifying codes assigned by various standards or industry organizations; details about physical location, contacts, Web sites and electronic services; hierarchical relationships such as parent consortia or child branches; and administrative and statistical data concerning staff, service usage and user population
- Many institutional profiles have been automatically created and pre-populated with information already known to OCLC or from other sources maintained by the worldwide library community.
- Downloading of Registry profile as XML file to a local/network location for importation into spreadsheet software and offline maintenance and review
- Sharing of profile data by "obfuscated" (encoded) Web hyperlinks. Library staff can send links to designated parties at any time via the Registry's embedded e-mail facility; link recipients view profile data as a read-only Web page or XML
- Profile data related to OpenURL services is automatically utilized by OCLC's OpenURL Gateway. This institution-independent resolving service directs link traffic to an appropriate library resource when the information seeker's IP address matches your Registry-specified address or address range
- Internet connection
- Current-generation Web browser