English

OCLC Canada Advisory Council

Minutes — November 1st 2017

Meeting in Baltimore, Maryland

Present

Madeleine Lefebvre, Librarian, Ryerson University
Suzanne Payette, Directrice, Bibliothèque publique de Brossard
Marie DeYoung, University Librarian, Saint Mary's University
Brenda Mathenia, University Librarian, Thompson Rivers University
Mélanie Dumas, Directrice, Direction de l'accès à la Collection universelle, BAnQ (replacing Danielle Chagnon, Directrice générale de la Grande Bibliothèque, BAnQ)
Debbie Schachter, University Librarian, Capilano University
Pilar Martinez, CEO, Edmonton Public Library
Diane Beattie, Director, Description Division, Published Heritage Branch, Library and Archives Canada
Daniel Boivin, Executive Director, OCLC Canada, Latin America & the Caribbean
Bruce Crocco, Vice-President, Library Services for the Americas, OCLC

Absent

Joyce Garnett, University Librarian Emeritus, Lecturer, Faculty of Information and Media Studies, Western University
Alexandra Freeland, Director, Information Management Services Directorate, Knowledge Management, National Research Council

Submitted Agenda

  1. Opening of the meeting, agenda approval and welcome to the new delegate(s)
  2. Review the minutes of the March 2017 OCAC Meeting
  3. Open discussion on the ARC Meeting and future OCAC in person meetings
  4. OCLC enterprise / Canadian division year in review and update
  5. BAC-LAC Update on implementation of new union catalog and WMS
  6. Review of the OCAC Charter (clauses, number of delegates, terms, etc.)
  7. Brainstorming on the Canadian library’s future, new library programming, research interest, new areas of investment in technology, services, programs, new ways libraries are engaging with their communities, etc., and implications or possible roles for OCLC
  8. Other business
  9. Group picture
  10. End of the meeting — Departure to airport

1) Opening of the meeting and agenda approval

  • Ms. Schachter started the meeting and nothing was modified or added to the agenda.

2) Review the minutes of the March 2017 Meeting (update, questions)

  • One change was required in point 5, 3rd bullet, ie. change "OCUL libraries" with "OCUL universities". The minutes are accepted with that change.

3) Open discussion on the ARC Meeting and future OCAC in person meetings

  • The following are the comments shared in no particular order:
    • It was great. It was a good formula in terms of length of the sessions, the mix, i.e. "plenary with sessions from practicing librarians. It also had a good balance between OCLC updates, library issues and high-level topics of interest to all types of libraries.
    • At the end, the "texting exercise" to play the game did not work for Canadians as our carrier did not take it (getting error messages). Some did notice they could go to a Web site and did so.
    • Some practicing librarians did no totally speak to the topic as proposed and some sessions were repetitive and close to previous ones.
    • OCAC delegates liked the venue, the care they received and the detailed attention provided by OCLC staff.
    • It was suggested to try to end with more energy for the next ARC. The idea of summarizing was great but it did not leave attendees on a "high" and some people had left before because it was not something like a keynote.
    • Someone suggested to consider ending at 3h.
    • The visualization exercise was liked.
    • The chargers on the tables were a hit.
    • Consider adding e-mail addresses to the contact list of both attendees and presenters (for people who have questions afterwards).
    • Consider doing office hours afterwards to continue conversations with speakers.
    • Consider doing an analysis of who did it reach (i.e., who came) vs who we wanted to come.
    • Keep trying to figure out how to get non-US members to come.
    • OCLC and delegates need to spread the word on how good this was so that it attracts even more people next year.
    • A way to promote how good it was could be to share some slides, videos and tweets. Certainly, consider reusing these in the marketing of it for next year.
    • Provide OCLC blankets to attendees because some felt it was too cold.
    • Consider asking people at the beginning what their expectations are of the meeting and then ask again at the end to see if it was met/exceeded.
    • It would have been nice to be able to read summaries of sessions one could not attend as many were at the same time.
    • Might be worth analyzing the tweets.
    • Continue finding themes and topics common to all type of libraries to remain relevant. Keep it strategic.
    • Consider bringing some users to present and could be using the Web to have them presenting. But, users are not just millennials, even in universities where many adults of all ages are going back.
    • The group did not feel it was too US like but the presenters should be reminded that not everybody comes from the US and have English as their first language as some were speaking very rapidly.
    • Need more promotion in Canada and remind people OCLC, and the ARC meeting, is not just about cataloguing.
    • Be clearer as to what type of sessions OCLC expects receiving for the next ARC and the topics it will cover so that those with strong incorrect perceptions pay more attention.
    • It is suggested to make sure ARC meeting goes around the US and outside, like in Canada: Vancouver, Toronto.
    • OCLC needs to be mindful to stay visible and active in Canada, especially if OCAC keeps on considering meeting around ARC. It might be worth considering doing an "extension" of this ARC meeting in Canada. The group felt that trying to do something in conjunction with OLA would be a good way to reach out. Something like the symposium at CLA, repeating the ARC theme, etc. Try to link it with the CFLA activity that is now traveling across the country having meetings with provincial associations (in 2018, will be at the Saskatchewan Libr. Association meeting in Regina).
    • OCAC delegates all felt that they should meet again next year in conjunction with the ARC in Chicago. But, this would be discussed and evaluated once more next year to assure the group and OCLC remains visible in Canada, especially with the current BAC-LAC partnership that will be in full action in 2018.

4) Review of the OCAC Charter (clauses, number of delegates, terms, etc.)
    (The order of the agenda was slightly modified to accommodate the fact we had not reached the break time yet.)

  • The following three changes discussed at the last meeting were accepted with the changes identified below:

a. OCAC should not exceed ten (10) delegates. The actual text is:

Additional new OCAC members are appointed by the existing members with the help of the director of OCLC Canada. Both will assure a diverse representation with the goal of balancing the Council geographically, linguistically as well as by library type. The desired number of delegates is nine (9) voting members but from time to time and based on the number of nominees coming from the OCLC Global Council delegates who will not already be on OCAC, and the terms of services of existing OCAC delegates, this number may be exceeded as required.

The originally proposed text was modified so that it will say to not exceed 11 delegates as is:

Additional new OCAC members are appointed by the existing members with the help of the director of OCLC Canada. Both will assure a diverse representation with the goal of balancing the Council geographically, linguistically as well as by library type. The desired number of delegates is nine (9) voting members and should not exceed eleven (11).

This was unanimously accepted.

b. To prevent that two individuals from the same institution happened to be on OCAC, the following changes/additions were proposed and accepted to the paragraph above:

Additional new OCAC members are appointed by the existing members with the help of the director of OCLC Canada. Both will assure a diverse representation with the goal of balancing the Council geographically, linguistically as well as by library type. The desired number of delegates is nine (9) voting members and should not exceed eleven (11). In the event that two individuals from the same institution become delegates on OCAC, one of the two delegates will be required to act as "an alternate delegate" on the said institution as only one person per institution can be a delegate to OCAC.

c. Agreed to change the following as well: In section "Duties of the OCAC Members", it appears that the URL in point "e" needs to be updated to this URL:  http://www.oclc.org/en/membership/benefits.html

  • The group then asked that the following be drafted for review and voted by OCAC delegates at the next meeting:

a. Add a term of 3 year to the chair as none is currently specified;

b. As for the previous change to the terms of office, modify the terms for the OCAC delegates to match the Regional and Global Council terms.  Review the text and submit it to OCAC for review.

5) OCLC enterprise / Canadian division year in review and update

  • Mr. Boivin did the presentation that will be posted on the OCAC portal.
  • The delegates asked that the Te Puna URL and the URL for the OCLC Annual Report be shared.

6) BAC-LAC Update on implementation of new union catalog and WMS

  • Ms. Beattie gave a general history from the time the contract discussion started, 2014 to now.
  • Part of the challenged and delayed encounter were related with the fact that this was one of the first contract Public Works had to deal with that was totally providing cloud services. This also required that the security division of Public Works get involved. The security requirements also added further delays to the process. Ms. Beattie indicated that they originally had not evaluated properly the level of security required for personal information, i.e. Protected B is not required and Protected A suffice. This also caused further discussions and delayed.
  • The contract is for 5 years with 10 one-year option for a possible total of 15 years.
  • BAC-LAC aim at having the union catalog released in December / January time frame. They are currently evaluating the timing of announcing this in December and might wait to January.
  • Plan to start using Acquisition in June 2018, then have the other functions (cataloguing, circulation, reports, license manager and reference) for the fall of 2018. AMICUS should be decommissioned the fall of 2018.
  • BAC-LAC had sent letters to all contributors of AMICUS and Ms. Beattie was unsure what the number of libraries that refused to have their holdings migrated to WorldCat was.
  • As promoted, BAC-LAC will financially support small public (population less than 50k) and academic (collection less than 60k) libraries. They launched this last week and had already 16 registrations in just 3 days. The registration process will close on December 6th. Since BAC-LAC do not really know how many libraries will register for this, they have evaluation criteria in case they exceed their budget but they hope to not have to go to these to decide who is included in the end.
  • Their Q&A site is constantly updated and staff from BAC-LAC have meetings regularly with various groups.
  • Ms. Payette asked if Quebec public libraries were included and Ms. Beattie indicated that BAC-LAC will not duplicate what is currently in place so they are not eligible since BAnQ provides access to WorldCat for these libraries through a direct agreement with OCLC. Mr. Boivin indicated that there is however a "gap" since these libraries are not reporting their holdings.
  • BAC-LAC knowing since only recently that a "holdings registration" service was possible, they will also mention this to libraries not needing copy cataloguing from OCLC.
  • Ms. Beattie continued saying that BAC-LAC can share the required "specifications" for this project, i.e. union catalog and implementation of WMS, if other libraries wanted to review them. They cannot share the whole agreement but the requirements that were included in the agreement could be shared.
  • BAC-LAC is internally reviewing the changes implementing a new system like WMS will have. OCLC consultants have already done one on-site visit for this.
  • One OCAC delegate suggested to BAC-LAC to consider doing an open house or offer some WebEx or virtual tour of their new catalog and environment once released to promote the new union catalog.
  • It was also suggested to consider doing a video at BAC-LAC like the National Library of New Zealand did to promote Te Puna.

7) Brainstorming on the Canadian library’s future, new library programming, research interest, new areas of investment in technology, services, programs, new ways libraries are engaging with their communities, etc., and implications or possible roles for OCLC

  • Ms. DeYoung said that universities are more and more required to have service commitments to indigenous communities. She then asked if oral history of indigenous communities at all available in WorldCat? What can OCLC do to help if not there?
  • Mr. Boivin said that the Research Library Program (RLP) facilitated a presentation on this and there should be a recording on this.
  • Mr. Crocco indicated that OCLC also recently had Kimberly Christen that addressed a similar challenge. The session can be found here: http://www.oclc.org/research/events/2017/07-13.html
  • Ms. Schacter was asking about the potential libraries have in working with first nations to have them authoring their own oral tradition, history and making them available through Wikipedia, for example. This is a topic to pursue it would seem.
  • Ms. Mathenia says it is an on-going concern for her and her library but has more questions than answers on how do you do facilitate some of these. Again, is there a role for OCLC? Could OCLC build guidelines, toolkit to help? How about developing vocabularies to then add to WorldCat for use by others?
  • Ms. Martinez said it is difficult because these efforts requires to be very relationship based and the community wants to own their own initiatives and "things". They want to do it themselves. Some of these challenges seems unique to Canada but some colleagues do think that these have similarities with countries like New Zealand.
  • Ms. Mathenia added that universities are enticed to "indigenize" the curriculum, space, etc., at least in her province. One of the challenge though is that they are not one group, one single community. It varies from one end of the country to the other.
  • Ms. Beattie then reported that BAC-LAC cannot wait for LC to come up with the new and correct vocabulary because LC said they were not willing to consider this now (political climate and challenges had with "illegal aliens").
  • In relation to this topic, someone suggested that if the next ARC conference was to focus on community to seriously consider asking Stanley Volant as a speaker to talk about their challenge.
  • UBC apparently has a classification system for the indigenous communities and Ms. Schacter was asking if BAC-LAC had approached them for this and answer was no.
  • Ms. Beattie reported on French SH and mentioned that a MOU with U Laval is being negotiated to continue accessing and using the RVM. The RVM is not free but she would hope that this could change in the future.
  • Then a discussion to keep promoting the profession started to assure youngster do get interested in the field for the future. People associates LIS with cataloguing and LIS are not teaching much of it anymore. Ms. Beattie even said it is hard to hire people with cataloguing skills now. But another delegate added that one should not forget that we want new ones to move through the profession and not to stay at one level so you need the right mix of people to assure this happens.
  • Ms. Martinez followed up in asking if OCLC was to update some research done in the past like the perception reports. Mr. Crocco indicated that OCLC is in the process of updating the "awareness funding" topic (all research reports can be found still at this URL: http://www.oclc.org/en/reports.html).
  • Ms. Martinez then asked if OCLC knew or had any research done on "library spaces". She was wondering, for example, if the use of mobile devices meant that libraries needed less desktop? She is interested in knowing what would the next need for space in libraries relate to? She is convinced that libraries need to recognize the potential otherwise libraries may lose their space so they need to be ahead of the game.
  • In relation to library space, Ms. Lefebvre indicated that at Ryerson, they have considered moving the university help desk in the library. In this case, it was also seen as a great opportunity for the library but it had issues with manning the desk for sufficient hours. The idea was to truly have a one stop shopping for services at Ryerson. This felt like a very good use of space and good internal partnering.
  • Ms. DeYoung followed indicating that there is a shift between archives and institutional repositories and the use of technology for this is still in unchartered territory (data migration, data management, etc.). She then asked if OCLC was considering moving more in the archives space?
  • One of the delegate indicated that the sharing level (description, records, etc.) is not at the same level as what we see in libraries. There was an authority file for archives that was created in the US. Something like that could potentially be used as the integration of library and archives in terms of searching for material is needed by the users.
  • Records Management is also a possible topic of interest as it does come up as new services libraries could consider. Ms. Schacter said that she had proposed this while at Douglas College as this goes back to demonstrating value and better use of these documents. This information is valued at the dean/provost level.
  • Similarly, Ms. Lefebvre indicated that Ryerson University did move their digital humanity centers in the library.
  • On the other hand, Mr. Crocco feels that mission alignments between the library and the university is not always there. Mr. Crocco says that about 50% of libraries' strategic plans are not aligned with their parent organization and Ms. Malpas did talk about this in her talk at ARC. She focused on how to better structure these plans and communicate them.
  • Another question Ms. Schachter brought up was about the need for having standards to help for digitization and having the right format for long term storage/access? The issue is that there are many and not one seems to have unanimity. It is hard to know which one will survive or will assure easy conversion in the future.
  • Ms. Martinez continued asking about if there was anything new around "customer experience or about segmentation and even personalizing services, like the amazon experience on the Web. Apparently, some universities have started building relationship with future potential students before they arrive. They use personal Web pages to communicate through them with these future potential students. But, not everybody is at ease with this. A way of doing this is apparently through getting lists of new arrivals from the city and send them welcome letters from the library. Ms. Lefebvre indicated that Ryerson partnered with TPL using Lib-Guides to promote specific services.
  • North Vancouver and Capilano University will come together to see what could be shared and how they could partner. Does OCLC has knowledge of some of these crossover partnership / sharing? Mr. Crocco reported that some colleges/universities give new students living in residence a public library card of the city they now live to help promoting the municipal library.
  • Ms. Schachter then asked "How about copyright?" Anything to report of this is still kind of in limbo? Apparently, still in limbo. Many are currently watching was is going on with the York University case that is now being appealed.
  • Ms. Mathenia added that topics such as sustainability, environment, social/cultural implications, workforce, and others are important and on the agenda at Thompson Rivers U. She wanted to know if these were also concerns across Canada or more of a BC thing as Capilano University also seem to have these concerns. So, these do not seem to be as important in other provinces and some delegates felt that topics such as 'workforce' could link to fierce competition between university. Mr. Crocco added on this that maybe someone from OCLC HR could share some of their initiatives/experiences with libraries to share how we do attract and keep talent at OCLC. He gave the example of the rebuilding of the atrium / entrance at OCLC, the casual collaboration approach that interest youngster and so on.
  • Someone then stated that a library can only be as good as the staff it has in place and that having motivated employees is important. In fact, every employee should be treated as leaders.
  • To that matter, it was reported that OCAC currently has three former library association presidents. All leaders!
  • Mr. Boivin then asked about how the public library funding was currently in each province. Ms. Payette indicated that in the next 2 years in Quebec, there should not be any or much tax growth which means that it is expected libraries will get less money for their acquisitions. Also, all provinces depending on oil have issues, including NS. Currently, BC is doing well because of all the foreign investors (housing, buildings, etc.). Vancouver Public Library budget does not suffer because of that. That being said, provinces are always being lobbied to provide more funding to public libraries and there are in general positive expectations. In Ontario, with elections coming, it is felt that the money seems to go more towards universities and education.

8) Other business

  • No other business is requested. 

9) End of the meeting (and Next meetings)

  • Doodle will be used to set the next conference call scheduled to be before the March Global Council meeting.
Actions required before the next meeting Responsibility
Draft a proposal so that the following points are discussed, voted on and inserted in the OCAC Charter:
  a. Add a term of 3 year to the chair as none is currently specified;
  b. As for the previous change to the terms of office, modify the terms for the OCAC delegates to match the Regional and Global Council terms.
Daniel Boivin. (Done)
Provide to the delegates the New Zealand Te Puna video URL and the OCLC FY17 Annual Report URL. Daniel Boivin (Done)
Is oral history of indigenous communities at all available in WorldCat? What can OCLC do to help if not there? Daniel Boivin (Done)
Find the URL of the recording of a session supported by the Research Library Program (RLP) on managing indigenous metadata content. Daniel Boivin (available only to RLP members)