EZproxy version 5.3 now available
13 October 2010
While EZproxy isn't a Web service, a lot of developers/Web people are also tasked with maintaining the library's authentication servers. Thus, we always want to let you know the latest and greatest with identity management, authentication and authorization services. So the latest version, 5.3 is now available on OCLC.org. Here are the details about the enhancements:
- A new function, Length, returns the number of characters in a string. This functionality is helpful in complex user.txt configurations for verifying and parsing strings. See an example from the official announcement.
- EZproxy V5.3 now supports the latest Shibboleth Version 2.1 Identity Providers (IdPs) for authentication. This move expands the number of Shibboleth IdPs available to an even wider range--all IdPs from V1.3 forward are now supported.
- A new option, Option CookiePassThrough, passes ALL cookies through EZproxy to the user's browser. Adding this option provides wider flexibility for the service to work with additional Web sites that may require a cookie to be set.
- LOGFORMAT now returns the correct number of bytes transferred for https connections. This correction will help libraries more accurately track usage statistics for EZproxy-enabled sessions.
- There were a number of additional minor fixes to improve the overall stability of EZproxy.
- a hosted version of EZproxy is in pilot and the reports back from libraries using it are quite good. So stay tuned to hear more when hosted EZproxy is ready for production in your library...
- As soon as testing is complete, version 5.3.1 will come out that supports NCIP authentication even more fully than v5.3 does today.