Libraries are using WorldShare Metadata Collection Manager to reduce the time spent managing metadata for the entire collection, improve access and increase the value of the collection.
Profile all or subsets of your collections
Collection Manager offers your library the ability to define all or subsets of your collection. Libraries define collections to automate the metadata workflow.
- With all or subsets of your e-resources registered in the WorldCat knowledge base, you will automatically receive WorldCat MARC records and WorldCat holdings maintenance for those e-resources, resulting in faster access to those resources.
- Enhance your collection with freely available, open access, digitized collections such as the HathiTrust. New titles are automatically added to your collection, easing the effort required to provide more resources for your library users.
- Demand-driven acquisitions (DDA) collections with EBL and ebrary (additional partners forthcoming) ensure faster user access to those collections through the local discovery interface. Over time, as the collection changes, the metadata can be managed without the need for additional staff.
- Collections of digitized titles you have added to WorldCat via the WorldCat Digital Collection Gateway and/or CONTENTdm increase visibility for your digitized materials in your discovery interface.
- A one-time file of a subset of records from WorldCat, based on any WorldCat search query enables automatic metadata management as needed.
- For a one-time or ongoing file of the titles your library holds in WorldCat, the metadata is automatically updated, increasing usage of your collection.
WorldCat holdings maintenance
Registering your library data enables your collection to be made visible and accessible alongside those of other contributing libraries in discovery tools and on the Web. Your library data can be aggregated with others and exposed via WorldCat.org, 300+ partner sites, as Web services and APIs and more, raising the profile and citation of your institution’s research and improving opportunities for funding. Your library resources can be exposed to users in the places where they start their information search, ultimately increasing usage of your collection.
MARC record delivery
Automated editing options, record delivery (daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly) for use in the discovery interface and record loading that requires minimal staff, means your library minimizes the effort necessary to keep its local discovery interface up-to-date.
Powered by WorldCat
The Expert Community of cataloging librarians creates and enriches the bibliographic records. This means that you receive the best record available based on the ongoing work done by the community. WorldCat data together with your local data—including your local URLs, optional WorldCat knowledge base notes, coverage data, optional local holdings records, and optional local bibliographic data—ensures users identify and access needed resources more quickly. High-quality data ultimately improves the relevancy and quality of the discovery experience without increasing the resources necessary to achieve it.
- Master record data is continually, cumulatively enriched by the worldwide library Expert Community.
- Shared metadata management improves the overall quality of data for all participants. When a record is entered or enriched, the whole community benefits.
- Your library receives additional local data from WorldCat knowledge base and local data from local holdings records and local bibliographic data.
- Having one agreement—WorldCat Rights and Responsibilities for the OCLC Cooperative—means you know how the records can be used. This eliminates time spent researching agreements.
- Receive automatic updates when changes defined as important to your library are made to the master record. This provides enriched data for your discovery interface, improving access.
- For e-resources, you receive updated records when provider or URL metadata changes. Records contain the URLs for every provider of the item. This eliminates multiple workflows and ensures URLs are up-to-date.