Policies Directory frequently asked questions
Show all answersHide all answers / Print
What are deflection and filtering?
Deflection: A process that can happen multiple times within the life cycle of a request using lending rules set up in the Policies Directory (PD). Note that the deflection is performed on the lender string. A simple scenario for deflection by format would be:
- Borrowing library creates a request choosing lenders that appear to be suppliers for the material (just like it is today).
- WorldCat Resource Sharing (WCRS) searches the first lender's policies in the Policies Directory to see if they will loan that format.
- For example, the format is "score" and the first lender has excluded scores from their lending policy in the Policies Directory.
- WCRS gets that answer from the Policies Directory, and instead of the lender getting the request as Pending, it skips that lender and automatically deflects to the next lender.
- WCRS goes back to step B above, and the request moves through the string until it identifies a lender that might supply it.
Filtering: An upfront process that chooses lenders based on holdings data and other info from the holdings record before the request is created (produced). It takes place before the lender string is built. The Policies Directory is not involved with this processing.
Note: Filtering impacts the lender string that is created, i.e., a symbol can be excluded from the lender string based on the filter that is applied. The only filtering that WorldCat Resource Sharing supports is the filtering of custom holdings paths/groups based on volume and year data in the local holding record.
What changes are being made to allow deflection?
Policies Directory: There is a new section called Deflections under the Policies tab.
WorldCat Resource Sharing: Faster processing of requests. Reasons for no are listed in the Resource Sharing reports in OCLC Usage Statistics.
Formats: Both the Policies Directory and FirstSearch have consistent document formats available.
What types of deflection are available?
Deflection can be set by:
Service Type – Copy, Loan, and Copy or Loan.
Format – Policies Directory deflection document formats. Note that these formats will be available in the informational (non-deflection) policies.
Group – OCLC profiled groups.
Custom Holding Group – One or more of your Custom Holding Groups.
Maximum Cost – Deflect based on Borrower's Maximum Cost.
Material Age – Publication date.
Last in Lender String – Deflect requests unless the lender is the last in the lender string. (This is selected in the Deflection Type field.
What is the hierarchy for deflection?
1. Non-Supplier status - nothing loaned or copied
2. Local Holdings Record (LHR) - bytes 20 and 21 override any deflection settings
3. Deflection Type - deflection on/off indicator
- Disable Deflection (off)
- Enable Real Time Deflection (on)
- Enable Real Time Deflection - except when I am last in the lender string (on)
4. Deflection Profile – the deflection policies in the Policies Directory
What MARC local holdings records bytes will override deflection?
MARC holdings record field 008, bytes 20 and 21
What "Reason for No" will be associated with deflection?
The Reasons for No are:
- Auto Deflection: Format Type
- Auto Deflection: Profiled Group (covers profiled groups and Custom Holding Groups)
- Auto Deflection: Maximum Cost
- Auto Deflection: Age of Material
- Auto Deflection: Multiple Reasons
- Auto Deflection: Request Type
The above Reasons for No will be included in the request history.
In what order are multiple deflection policies applied?
If you have multiple deflection policies, requests will be processed in the order the deflection policies are created.
For example, when a request comes through WorldCat Resource Sharing, it looks at policy #1. If the request doesn’t meet the criteria to be deflected, it will go on to policy #2. If it meets the criteria for deflection, the request will be deflected and move on to the next lender.
What report will I get with deflection?
At first, deflection will be included in the Reasons for No Reports in OCLC Usage Statistics, which will be updated with new reasons for no to reflect deflection policies. This will affect both the Lender and Borrower Reasons for No Reports.
How do I turn deflection on or off?
Under Deflection Type, choose:
- Disable Deflection (to turn deflection off)
- Enable Real Time Deflection (to turn deflection on)
- Enable Real Time Deflection—except when I am last in the lender string (to turn deflection on except when you are the last in the lender string)
Will deflection override Non-Supplier status?
Deflection does not override Non-Supplier status.
Is deflection by a specific holding possible?
Deflection by a specific holding (i.e., journal, title or date) can be done presently, based on information in the local holding record, field 008, bytes 20 and 21. See Set MARC LHR field 008, bytes 20 and 21 to override deflection.
When will other methods of deflection be available?
The availability of deflection by other methods, such as geography and other criteria, is not yet determined.