The OCLC link resolver is included with various OCLC services. It works to increase access to full-text collections through exposure of your WorldCat knowledge base holdings (holdings you add via the Collection Manager application).
Use of the link resolver requires that you have:
- A cataloging subscription and a WorldShare Collection Manager account.
- A subscription to one of the following: WorldShare Management Services, WorldCat Discovery, or to License Manager.
- Collection metadata in your WorldCat knowledge base (that you added via Collection Manager).
Note that your use of the knowledge base enables inbound and outbound OpenURL linking and A to Z title lists in WorldCat Discovery. This page focuses on inbound link resolution and A to Z lists.
Expand - Features and other details
The link resolver features a next-generation interface that is responsive to desktop browsers, mobile devices, and tablets. Configuration options for the interface include customizable color schemes, library links, and banner images. Other features include:
- Full or partial article citations, and DOI / PMID queries.
- OpenURL link resolution supporting both OpenURL 1.0 and 0.1 protocols.
- Three-tier A to Z browsing for journal titles, collections, and partial support for A to Z browsing of eBooks.
- A configurable interface allowing you to set defaults and show or hide features relative to your patron needs.
- Integration with OCLC WorldShare Interlibrary Loan, and OpenURL 1.0-compatible resource sharing services.
- Chat widget integration for OCLC’s QuestionPoint and those from other providers
- Citation export to popular citation engines such as RefWorks, Easybib, EndNote and ReferenceManager.
- A reporting feature allowing users to let OCLC know if they discover a faulty link.
Every WorldCat Discovery library has a patron-facing page that makes it possible to search just the titles you've represented in your knowledge base via Collection Manager.
How to create a link to your institution's A to Z list in the WorldCat Discovery interface
- Log in to OCLC Service Configuration: https://worldcat.org/config/.
- Navigate to Inbound Links and A-Z and select Full Text OpenURL Resolvers (incoming requests).
- Copy your Base URL Version 2. This is the link URL for your A to Z list. An example URL is: http://86474.on.worldcat.org/atoztitles.
- Navigate to My WorldCat.org and select User Interface Options.
In the "Custom Links" section:
- In the "Link type" field, select other.
- In the "URL" field, paste your A to Z list link.
- In the "Display text" field, type the text you would like to display (for example, "A to Z list" or "E-Journals").
Note: IP address recognition is configurable in OCLC Service Configuration. Find settings in the "IP Addresses" module. You can add a resource sharing request button so patrons can submit ILL requests using your OpenURL resolver. Find settings in the "WorldCat.org" module.
Tips on giving your base URL to other providers
- After you have collections in your knowledge base, your A to Z list URL will be similar to:
- The base URL you need to give to third party providers is your A to Z URL with and added /link
See your A to Z link OCLC Service Configuration. Navigate to Inbound Links and A-Z, Full Text OpenURL Resolvers (incoming requests).
- See documentation on exporting knowledge base collections to Google Scholar
How to include print serials in your A to Z list
If you would like to include print serials in your A to Z list, you will need to add the collection to your knowledge base via using the "Create a Collection" button in the interface.
- Follow the instructions to Create a new WorldCat knowledge base collection.
- Enable the WorldCat Discovery, Coverage setting in Collection Manager, Settings.
Please contact OCLC Support if you need help.
Related support and training
- WorldShare Collection Manager (WorldCat knowledge base)
- WorldCat Discovery
- WorldShare Interlibrary loan
- WorldShare Management Services
See the complete list of OCLC product and service support links.