Did you know that you can add links to your library's OpenURL servers from FirstSearch?
The links appear in detailed records of FirstSearch search results. You can turn access to OpenURL servers on or off by database. Clicking an OpenURL server link brings up the server screen in a new window. Users can then choose from the display to get to the item they need. This linking maximizes resources your library has already invested in by providing yet another way for users to access them.
All you need to do is:
- Click this link:
- Enter your FirstSearch administrative authorization and password on the administrative module login screen.
- Click the Resource Sharing tab and the link for OpenURL Links. To add the links, you must:
- Specify the URL of each OpenURL server, then click Add Server to the right of the field.
- Specify the URL of an icon for each server and/or specify the text to be displayed as a link. Click Add/Rename Icon File if you enter an icon URL; click Add/Rename Link Text if you enter link text.
- Make the icon(s) and/or link text available in one or more FirstSearch databases by highlighting the databases and clicking Add in the Choose Databases section.
- Click Save Changes.
If you would like to set up links to your library's OpenURL servers in FirstSearch, but do not have access to your library's FirstSearch administrative module, please forward this message to the person at your library who can make the changes.
Last revised: 12 October 2004