Are you aware that you can link to WorldCat on FirstSearch from many of the online reference services you provide for your users?
OCLC recently implemented enhancements that will give your users new options for obtaining materials when searching in services that participate in the WorldCat library access program (for example, EBSCOhost, Bowker’s booksinprint.com, Ex Libris).
Depending on what fulfillment options your library has activated in the OCLC FirstSearch administrative module, after searching in a partner service to which your library subscribes, your users will be able to:
- Create ILL requests and send them to the OCLC ILL Service or to your library via e-mail.
- Retrieve library holdings information by accessing a library’s local system through their Z39.50 server.
- Link to your library’s web catalog or OPAC to view the status of an item in your library.
- Link to OCLC FirstSearch Electronic Collections Online full-text, full-image articles.
- Link to external services such as Infotrieve or JSTOR to obtain full-text articles.
The enhancements appear after the user clicks WorldCat button or links within the partner service.
Libraries must have subscriptions in place for both WorldCat and the partner service to enable linking. To link to Electronic Collections Online full text, libraries must subscribe to individual e-journals through FirstSearch. Individual libraries must enable the links through the partner service’s administrative interface by inputting their nine-digit FirstSearch authorization number.
Last revised: 23 July 2003