Adding Items & Objects
Items (images, compound objects, PDF files, finding aids, URLs, video, and audio) can be added to the project spreadsheet in multiple ways. After items or objects are added to the project spreadsheet, you can enter metadata, save changes, and then upload them to the server to be approved and indexed as part of your collection.
Before adding items to your project, you may wish to review and establish your project settings using the Project Settings Manager, such as enabling the automatic conversion of multiple-page PDF files to compound objects. The settings apply to all items as they are added to the project. For more information about working with archival files, see Managing Archival Files.
- Adding an Item. Ideal if you only have a few files to add.
- Adding Multiple Items. Use if you have multiple files in one directory to import. You can add:
- Adding Compound Objects. Use if you have one or more related files to import. The related files could be pages in a document, audio files on a CD, pictures of a three-dimensional image, postcards, and other similar items.
- Adding Finding Aids. Use if you have Encoded Archival Description (EAD) files.
- Adding a URL. Use to display Web pages or link to streaming media servers.
- Working with PDF Files. You can add Portable Document Format (PDF) files as single items or compound objects.
- Generating Thumbnails.
Note: When you use tab-delimited files to import multiple files, you must Map Fields to ensure that the fields in the files that you are importing match the fields in the collection database.