November 9, 2007
Biddle Law Library
University of Pennsylvania
All staff from RLG Programs partner institutions were invited to attend a meeting of the SHARES resource sharing consortium.
This was an opportunity for program participants and those considering signing up for SHARES to spend quality time with peers and with RLG Programs staff, hear updates on SHARES plans and operations issues, discuss hot topics, debate future directions for the partnership, and hear presentations about new toys, new thinking about workflow, and important work being done at partner institutions and in OCLC’s division of Programs and Research.
Presentation file [.pdf: 770 kb, 30 pp.]
The New Workflow Economy: a quick and dirty SHARES survey
Presentation file [.pdf: 70 kb, 15 pp.]
Coffee and mingling
Welcome and introductions
Morning session: SHARES update and discussion
- Weigh in on life in the new SHARES technical environment.
- Analyze the final peer-to-peer SHARES net lending report.
- Hear SHARES Executive Group plans.
- Discuss the next steps and future directions of the partnership.
On your own
Afternoon session: Spotlight on operations
- Hear how OCLC Office of Research staff is helping four SHARES museums analyze their collections, and how that intelligence will be used to shape future collaborative action.
- Consider the new workflow economy: since you’re being asked to do so many new things, what tasks/policies/procedures should you be giving up?
- Learn more about what the OCLC Usage Statistics are actually measuring.
- Find out what new and exciting projects your peers are working on.
Wrap-up and sayonara