Z39.50 Implementors Group ( ZIG) and others meet at OCLC
The Z39.50 Implementors Group ( ZIG) met on the OCLC campus in Dubin, Ohio, on April 4 and 5, 2002. The meeting was preceed by a NISO SC AV Profile (North American Z39.50 Profile for Library Applications) meeting on April 3, and followed by a Bath Profile (International Z39.50 Profile for Library Applications) meeting on April 6 and 7. The ZIG meeting had about 40 attendees and the two profile meetings had around twenty attendees each.
The ZIG meeting started with presentations on current development efforts:
- SRW: work to create a Web Service equivalent to Z39.50 (called SRW or Search and Retrieve on the Web)
- ZOOM: work to create an object oriented interface to Z39.50 that hides the complexity of the standard
- Explain--: work to re-engineer the Explain service into something that might be more broadly implemented
The groups working on the Bib-2 attribute set and the Holdings Schema also made presentations on their work. These core technologies have been 90% stable for some time.
The next ZIG meeting is expected in 2003.
Full information on the April ZIG meeting can be found at http://lcweb.loc.gov/z3950/agency
- Z39.50 Implementors' Group
- OR's Search & Retrieve on the Web project
- Z39.50 Maintenance Agency Page
- ZIG Meeting Home
|ZIG-related information||Ralph LeVan ( firstname.lastname@example.org)|
|About this page||Robert C. Bolander ( email@example.com)|
|Currency||Content: 15 April 2002
Layout: 28 May 2003
(Originally Posted 15 April 2002)