OCLC Research offers free software for the benefit of libraries, archives, and museums. The offerings include useful utilities for the development of library-oriented software and ready-to-use components for library systems. Most packages are open source, although some are offered under other licenses. Please be sure to check the license section of the Web page related to the specific software of interest. Open source offerings include source code and documentation, as well as the class files or binaries.
Since 2006 we have issued open source software under the Apache License, Version 2.0.
Many earlier open source offerings were issued under the OCLC Research Public License 2.0 ( PDF version; 130K/3pp.). Which license governs a given package is specified on the overview page for that package as well as in the software itself.
If you have or are interested in open source software licensed under one of the older licenses and would like to use it under the Apache license, please contact us – we may be able to update the software to use the Apache license.
For those few packages not issued under an open source license, the terms and conditions of use are summarized on the overview page and available in full before the end of the download process.
We are always interested in hearing about your experiences using and enhancing our software. Please use the contact link below or on the individual software pages to send us your comments.
Open source offerings are being further developed as Open Source Development projects. You may wish to contribute to the development of this software by becoming a member of one or more of these projects. The Open Source initiative is described in more detail on the OCLC Research Open Software Development page.
- A core application package. Separate files are available for Mac and Windows.
- Open source configuration files and plugin.
- The core application, both Windows and Mac versions, is covered by a limited license agreement between the end user and Cognitive Applications Inc.
- Object code for both versions of the core application (Mac and Windows) is offered under a fee-free license. The source code is not available. Use of the software is restricted to cultural heritage organizations (museum, library, archive, etc.) using COBOAT for the purposes of publishing a CDWA Lite repository of collections information.
- During the download process you will be presented with the complete terms and conditions covering use of this software. You will be asked to agree to the terms and conditions, and to identify yourself in order to register to use the software. You will be able to immediately download the core application and configuration files. Shortly after registration, a license key will be e-mailed to you manually. The software will open without the license file, but it will not be fully functional.
- The configuration files and plugin are offered under the terms of the Apache License, Version 2.0 open source license.
- The COBOAT application, configuration files, and browser plugin are provided "as is" without warranties or conditions of any kind, either express or implied, including, without limitation, any warranties or conditions of title, non-infringement, merchantability, or fitness for a particular purpose.
- Please note that there is no technical support available for this software.
The COBOAT distribution consists of several components:
Use the Download link below to obtain the software and documentation.
Each of the COBOAT software components is covered by a separate license agreement. These agreements are summarized below. Users must register in order to download the software. Specific terms and conditions covering use of each software component are presented to the user at the time of download. Users must agree to the relevant terms and conditions in order to receive a license file for the core application.
Cognitive Applications Inc. and Ltd. (Cogapp) is a consultancy, design and production company for online and interactive media. COBOAT is copyright ©2008 by Cognitive Applications Ltd. Portions © 2000-2008 Runtime Revolution Limited. All Rights Reserved Worldwide.
Some of the activities listed here have prototypes or demonstrations you can explore and play with. You can find a list of just those hands-on activities in ResearchWorks.
A few of these activities have generated software that you can download and build upon. Go to our software page for a list of only those activities.
The OCLC Research Library Partnership has sponsored the activities with this mark.