SHARES Best Practices
This project is an ongoing effort. The SHARES Best Practices Working Group is a standing group with rotating membership that will continue to develop this list of preferred practices.
Click here to see a list of specific collection sharing best practices divided into various categories. Each category is presented on a grid consisting of four columns:
- Principle: high-level collection sharing concepts of desired behavior.
- Best – General: specific collection sharing best practices applicable to most any situation or consortium.
- Best Plus – SHARES: specific collection sharing best practices reflecting the enhanced expectations and traditions among SHARES partners.
- The Worst: a chance to vent about pet peeves and perceived crimes against collection sharing humanity.
The inaugural edition of the SHARES Best Practices working Group conceived of, and began assembling, a set of best practices in the following categories:
- About You(r ILL unit)
- Packaging and Shipping
- International Packaging and Shipping
Some categories may not be present on the current version of the Best Practices grid; also, there are no doubt important categories we haven’t thought of yet.
SHARES participants are encouraged to contribute to this effort by:
- Commenting on the Best Practices work by posting to the SHARES-L discussion list or by sending comments to the OCLC SHARES coordinator.
- Using a template to send your own version of the Best Practices grid to the SHARES Best Practices Working Group for review; contact the OCLC SHARES coordinator to receive a copy of the template.