Numeric search keys
Batch Services uses the numeric search keys you send as a single match point to find matching records in WorldCat for projects that cancel or set institution-level holdings.
You can submit search keys for a WorldCat numeric index in a word processing or spreadsheet file. You can submit a set of search keys for only one numeric index in a single file, or you can send multiple files, each containing search keys for a different numeric index. See guidelines and instructions below.
You can use the following numeric indexes:
|Number index||Formatting||Example of search key|
|LCCN—Library of Congress Control Number||Include hyphens.||84-23765|
|ISBN—International Standard Book Number||Omit hyphens.||0818903457|
|ISSN—International Standard Serial Number||Include hyphens.||1060-0396|
|OCLC record control number||Include one search index prefix: #, *, ocm/ocn.||#1299 or *13713166 or ocm32551273/ocn141381273|
Guidelines and instructions for submitting numeric search keys
Prepare your numeric search key text or spreadsheet file(s)
- Limit: 80,000 search keys per file.
- Enter numeric search keys in a single column, one search key per line, in a spreadsheet or a text file.
- If more than one numeric search key type (OCLC control number, ISBN, LCCN, ISSN) will be used in a project, create only one file per type.
- Do not create multiple files for the same index unless the number of search keys exceeds 80,000. Otherwise, combine smaller files for the same index into one.
- Remove duplicate entries, blank lines, invalid search keys, and/or spurious data from files before sending them.
Order a numeric search key Batchload project
Once you are in the Batchload Order form, to specify that your order is a numeric search keys project:
- Select Non-MARC in the question "Identify the format of the data you are submitting...."
- Under "Format," select Spreadsheet or Delimited text as the type of file you will send.
- Under "Type of data," select List of numeric search keys
See complete Batchload ordering instructions in chapter 3 of the OCLC Batch Services User Guide.
Submit your files for processing
- After you receive your Batchload order confirmation e-mail with your Project ID number (a number that begins with "P"), attach the search key spreadsheet(s) or text file(s) that you created to an e-mail.
- Attach all files for your project to the same e-mail.
- Do not send search keys in the body of the e-mail.
- Include your OCLC symbol and Project ID in the Subject line of your e-mail, and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.