Français

OCLC Canada Advisory Council

Minutes – June 20, 2013

Present:

  • Hélène Roussel, Directrice générale, Direction générale de la diffusion, Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec
  • Michael Ireland, Director (Acting), Information Management Services Directorate
  • Lisa O'Hara, Head, Technical Services, University of Manitoba Libraries
  • Joyce Garnett, University Librarian, Western University
  • Madeleine Lefebvre, University Librarian, Ryerson University
  • Gwen Ebbett, University Librarian, University of Windsor
  • Bruce Crocco, Vice-President, Library Services for the Americas, OCLC
  • Daniel Boivin, Executive Director, OCLC Canada, Latin America & the Caribbean

Absent:

  • Fabien Lengellé, Director General, Content and Access, Library and Archives Canada
  • Debbie Schachter, Director, Learning Resources, Douglas College
  • Mary-Jo Romaniuk, Acting Chief Librarian, University of Alberta

Submitted Agenda:

  1. Opening of the meeting and agenda approval (Chair: Hélène Roussel).
  2. Review the minutes of the April 9th, 2013 Meeting (uodate, discussion).
  3. Membership and Governance Protocols, June 2013 Revision - Discussion.
  4. Discussion on the upcoming Americas Regional Council agenda.
  5. Key topics/areas needing to be reported on or affecting Canadian Libraries (Group).
  6. Update on the new CEO and President.
  7. Departing delegates.
  8. Next meeting on October 21-22, 2013, in person.
  9. Other business.
  10. End of meeting.

1. Opening of the meeting and agenda approval:

  • Agenda approved as submitted.

2. Review the minutes of the April 9th, 2012 meeting (update, questions)

  • Accepted without changes.

3. Membership and Governance Protocols, June 2013 Revision

  • All were fine with the recent modifications.
  • Mr. Boivin will share with OCAC delegates the changes (document or URL).

4. Discussion on the upcoming Americas Regional Council agenda

Mrs. Lefebvre submitted questions to OCAC ahead of time to help her out with her upcoming presentation at ARC before ALA. Here they are with comments made by the group.

  1. Value of cooperative in the region (Canada)?
    • Normally, the research report gets librarians to comment and excited about OCLC across the country.
    • It is seen as allowing exchanges and cooperation between libraries. OCLC sets up that “proper an environment”.
  2. What are the major issues facing the libraries in your area where OCLC can have the most impact?
    • Big data and OCLC is at the forefront of these issues/challenges.
  3. What does OCLC mean to the libraries in your area?
    • The name WorldShare is going around and starting to have traction, at least in some parts of the country.
    • In Quebec, the SQTD is in place and all public and school libraries can now use WorldCat to derive records. There is a large adoption of this (over 200 libraries so far) and this is subsidized by the provincial government.
    • Think at OCLC for Shared print repository or other shared initiatives. Also of course for cataloguing, online or contract, in general.
    • It is seen as allowing exchanges and cooperation between libraries. OCLC sets up that “proper an environment”.
    • Also of course for cataloguing, online or contract, in general.
  4. Do you see potential for OCLC to attract more members to the cooperative? In essence do you see the possibility of OCLC having a bigger role in your region?
    • People are keeping their eye on the WorldShare development and this is seen as an opportunity to attract more/new members.
    • One delegate mentioned that it would be nice to see another research report coming out soon”.
    • The fact that OCLC supports local awards and give them a window at its symposium during CLA to present is appreciated.
    • WorldShare ILL will give further opportunities to bring new members on, especially once VDX users move to this new service on the platform”.
    • The group catalog is another nice way to attract more members and Mr. Boivin gave the exemple of the recently signed agreement with The Alberta Library (TAL) where about 20 new members will join the cooperative through this initiative.

5. Key topics/areas needing to be reported on or affecting Canadian Libraries (Group)

  • Nothing to report this time around.

6. Update on the new CEO and President

  • Mr.Crocco indicated that Skip Prichard is President and CEO elect and will be officially named President and CEO on July 1st. He is full time at OCLC since June 17th. He met and presented to the staff on June 7th and participated to the Board meeting recently. He has a law degree but never practiced it. Mr. Crocco reported that he stared at Lexis-Nexis, then went to Proquest as President and then as CEO and President of the publishing side of Ingram. He left Ingram in May 2012 and some people thought he had left to join OCLC at that time but it was a coincidence. Mr. Crocco says he is very personable, wants to listen to members, be in front of members and wants to learn about OCLC in his first months. Mr. Crocco met with him at the Board meeting and personally and he noticed how active he was observing and listening to all that is being presented at him regarding the organization and its members. He wants to learn what OCLC’s initiatives truly are. He will be going to IFLA, such is Jay as en ex-officio member (his official tile will become President Emeritus for a while). Mr. Crocco thinks that Mr. Prichard will want to start travelling and visiting/meeting members regularly in the first 6 months. Mr. Crocco said he is confident he will help OCLC move forward.
  • Mrs. Lefebvre indicated meeting him while at Proquest and thought he was terrific.

7. Departing delegates

  • None are since Mrs. Garnett and O’Hara will extend their terms and exercise their second three year term.

8. Next in-person meeting on October 21-22, 2013

  • Mrs. Lefebvre proposed to join NetSpeed as a pre-conference program.
  • Mr. Boivin will investigate with NetSpeed. The OCAC consequently need to book their calendars for the following three days, 21 to 23 of October, until Mr. Boivin confirms if it is possible to have a “pre-conference” event on the 23rd with NetSpeed. If this is possible, the dates will become Oct. 22-23 where the 22nd will be the business meeting and dinner while the 23rd will be the development day associated with the NetSpeed conference.
  • If this pre-conference event does not work we will go back to doing a development day on the 21st and meeting the 22nd at a new location somewhere in Canada.
  • Mrs. Lefebvre proposed to invite the Lethbridge Community College to present on their WorldShare implementation if we can do the pre-conference event at NetSpeed.

9. Other business

  • None.

10. End of the meeting

  • The meeting is adjourned at 13h45.

Actions required before the next meeting

Responsibility

Share the “Membership and Governance Protocols” changes. Daniel Boivin
Contact Netspeed to set up some sort of pre-conference event. Daniel Boivin