With EZproxy, you can:
EZproxy is easy to set up and maintain. It connects to a wide variety of authentication services (including LDAP, SIP, CAS and Shibboleth). Your users connect to EZproxy, then it connects on their behalf to your library's licensed databases to obtain webpages and sends them back to your users. Once you register the EZproxy server address with your database vendor, the vendor sees the requests as coming from an authorized IP address and therefore permits access.
OCLC offers two versions of EZproxy: a stand-alone version that your library manages and a hosted version that OCLC maintains for you.
- The stand-alone version is available for servers that run Linux, Solaris (x86) or Windows®.
- EZproxy hosted service includes all of the hardware and software components needed as well as all back-ups, automatic system and software upgrades and defined customization and implementation services. EZproxy hosted service is the first step for OCLC member libraries to implement a single, simple electronic content solution. That solution includes EZproxy hosted service, WorldCat® knowledge base, licensed resource management and integrated link resolution.
Learn more about EZproxy hosted service
OCLC can provide a completely hosted solution for EZproxy customers. This optional service includes all of the hardware and software components needed as well as all back-ups, automatic system and software upgrades, and 10 hours of customization and implementation time from the developers. Whether you need some extra help setting up EZproxy or require off-site hosting of the servers, OCLC gives you solid support through the hosted option.
The benefits of using hosting include:
- Gain 24/7 reliability for e-content access.
- Add new database access in a matter of days.
- Receive regular usage reports to help you know what resources are the most popular outside the library.
- Free IT staff for other critical tasks since EZproxy hosted service requires minimal support.
- Save on servers and space, eliminating the need for additional investment in locally maintained hardware.
- Stay current with EZproxy upgrades and enhancements.
- Gain peace of mind as user information is maintained in a secure environment (institutional security certificate supplied).
- Receive 24/7 onsite monitoring of hosting hardware and software within OCLC's climate-controlled and restricted-access computer facility.
EZproxy hosted service is the first step toward OCLC member libraries being able to implement a single, simple electronic content solution: EZproxy hosted service, WorldCat knowledge base, licensed resource management and integrated link resolution.
EZproxy hosted service is available for current and new EZproxy users.
If you are a current (stand-alone) EZproxy user, OCLC will use your current configuration files and update them with standard logging, security and port settings. Institutional administrators can request EZproxy administrative rights for monitoring, if desired. OCLC staff members will assist you in your migration from stand-alone to hosted EZproxy.
For libraries new to EZproxy, up to 10 hours of initial configuration time is included in the first year's subscription. This time is designated to set up a completely new configuration.
For all EZproxy hosted service users, pricing includes support for standard configuration change requests and ongoing support throughout your subscription.
- Standard configuration change requests are single requests that will take fewer than 10 hours to accomplish.
- Complex configuration changes are single requests that will take more than 10 hours to accomplish and are anticipated to be rare occurrences.
- If you have a complex configuration request, OCLC staff members will review it with you beforehand and will discuss the anticipated additional configuration hours that may be needed and what hourly rates might be involved.
Download the brochure
Learn more about seemlessly connecting users to e-content.
10 December 2014
Join Susan Musser, EZproxy information developer, and Don Hamparian, senior product manager, for a preview of changes coming to the EZproxy support site.
11 December 2014
Join Don Hamparian, Senior Product Manager at OCLC, to learn about the EZproxy hosted service.