eSerials Holdings at a glance
Make your library's electronic serials collection more visible to users and staff by adding your electronic serials holdings to WorldCat in an efficient and cost-effective way. Increase the value of the investments your library has made in your electronic serials collection, serials management services and in WorldCat.
The OCLC eSerials Holdings service:
- Makes your library’s electronic serials collection more visible and increases its usage since the service makes it easier for library users and staff to find and use the full-text electronic serials in your library collection.
- Keeps your electronic serials holdings up to date in WorldCat in a cost-effective, simple and efficient way.
- Can provide MARC bibliographic records that correspond with your eSerials holdings updates.
- Increases the value of your library’s investments in your electronic serials collection, serials management services and in WorldCat—and builds on systems that you and your users already use like Connexion, OCLC FirstSearch, WorldCat Resource Sharing, WorldCat Collection Analysis and other WorldCat-related programs.
- Allows you to automatically control and/or deflect interlibrary loan requests from colleagues in the OCLC cooperative.
- Basic service is available at no additional charge to OCLC member libraries, and the MARC record delivery option is available for a nominal charge.
For publishers, material vendors or serials management providers
Contribute metadata about your titles to WorldCat long before they’re released, and enhance your fulfillment services with WorldCat records and preset holdings.
For serials management providers, contribute your libraries’ electronic serials title data for ISSN-based resources in order to automate the process of setting and maintaining libraries’ Level 1 holdings data in WorldCat.
Your library’s journal title level holdings are automatically set and maintained each month. Here’s how it works:
- OCLC receives your electronic serials holdings data for your ISSN-based resources, from your serials management provider.
- OCLC automatically sets and maintains journal title level holding against existing electronic serials MARC records in WorldCat for your electronic serials collection each month.
- Your electronic serials collection holdings are kept current, accurate and visible to your users, and your holdings are efficiently contributed to WorldCat.
- If you order the MARC record delivery option, corresponding records are delivered to your library.
- For libraries with an unlimited subscription to WorldCat on OCLC FirstSearch, the service also exposes those eSerials records to searchers on the public Web through WorldCat.org and WorldCat Local.
- Additionally, you and your library colleagues will see the journal title level holdings for your eSerials collection through Connexion, FirstSearch, the WorldCat Resource Sharing service, WorldCat Collection Analysis, and your Group Catalog.
- Through the WorldCat Resource Sharing service, your library’s interlibrary loan staff will quickly see which eSerials your library subscribes to so they can fulfill more requests from your collection, decreasing the need to borrow and increasing the value of your collection. Through the WorldCat Resource Sharing service, you can control which requests your library receives by setting your library’s preferences in the OCLC Policies Directory.
- When you register your OpenURL link resolver with OCLC, while searching WorldCat in FirstSearch and other OCLC services, authenticated users and staff can click on the link to your resolver to see where they have access to full text and link to the most appropriate copy of the ISSN-based eSerials your library holds.