Uniquely valued by member libraries, FirstSearch will continue to be offered as a separate service
- A new version of FirstSearch will deliver the full-featured searching of WorldCat valued by FirstSearch users today.
- WorldCat Discovery will continue to provide single-search discovery of electronic, digital and physical materials in local library collection and in libraries worldwide. In addition to the single search box preferred by many searchers, the future WorldCat Discovery will provide the full-featured search experience of FirstSearch for library staff and other expert searchers. WorldCat Discovery will remain the user-facing interface to WorldShare® Management Services.
Both WorldCat Discovery and the new version of FirstSearch will include a modern, mobile-ready interface.
Collections of libraries represented in WorldCat will remain visible on the websites where many people begin their research, no matter which option a library uses in the future.
As OCLC works to deliver essential functionality required by both services, access to the current version of FirstSearch will extend beyond the 2016 calendar year into 2017.
We have modified the plan to transition all FirstSearch and WorldCat Local users to WorldCat Discovery because we understand libraries need to deliver search experiences that meet different user needs:
- Power searching of the WorldCat database, often used by library staff and expert searchers
- Single-search-box discovery of electronic, digital and physical library collections for a broader user community.
Many libraries also already have a discovery service but still want to provide detailed searching of WorldCat to support research and a variety of library workflows.
A current subscription enables libraries to select either FirstSearch or WorldCat Discovery, implementing the service that best meets the needs of their staff and users.
We will share additional details about plans to enhance WorldCat Discovery and release the new version of FirstSearch in the coming months.
Next steps for your library:
- If you have completed your transition to WorldCat Discovery – Continue to use the service and new features as they are added.
- If you have not yet tried WorldCat Discovery – Request your library’s unique WorldCat Discovery URL and take a look at the service. This will help you plan whether to use FirstSearch or WorldCat Discovery in the future.
- Watch for additional information from OCLC about plans for both services, along with a schedule for service changes.
- See Upcoming Events for a list of informational webinars to learn more about plans for FirstSearch and WorldCat Discovery.