English

OCLC Canada Advisory Council

Minutes – 19 June 2014

Present:
Hélène Roussel, Director General, Direction générale de la diffusion, Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec
Michael Ireland, Director, Information Management Services Directorate
Knowledge Management, National Research Council
Debbie Schachter, Director, Learning Resources, Douglas College
Mary-Jo Romaniuk, SLIS, University of Alberta
Fabien Lengellé, Director General, Content and Access, Library and Archives Canada
Suzanne Payette, Director, Bibliothèque publique de Brossard
Daniel Boivin, Executive Director, OCLC Canada, Latin America & the Caribbean
Bruce Crocco, Vice-President, Library Services for the Americas, OCLC
Joyce Garnett, University Librarian, Western University

Absent:
Lisa O'Hara, Head, Technical Services, University of Manitoba Libraries
Madeleine Lefebvre, University Librarian, Ryerson University
Gwen Ebbett, University Librarian, University of Windsor

Submitted Agenda

  1. Opening of the meeting and agenda approval (Chair: Hélène Roussel)
  2. Review the minutes of the 27 March 2014 Meeting (update, questions)
  3. Appointment of a new OCAC Chair (Group)
  4. Discussion on the upcoming ARC Meeting at ALA Summer
  5. Key topics/areas needing to be reported on or affecting Canadian Libraries (Group)
  6. Idea for next CLA Symposium in 2015 (Group)
  7. Next fall in person meeting - Oct. 2nd and 3rd, 2014, Montreal
  8. Other business
  9. End of meeting

1. Opening of the meeting, welcoming and agenda approval

  • Agenda approved as submitted but Mr. Boivin proposed to interchange point 2 and 3 knowing that Mrs. Roussel had to leave very early the meeting.

2. Appointment of the new OCAC Chair

  • Everybody agreed to assign the chair to Debbie Schachter to succeed to Mrs. Roussel. A warm, and quick, thank you for her contribution was shared with Mrs. Roussel before she left.

3. Review the minutes of the 27 March 2014 Meeting (update, questions)

  • No changes to the minutes and they were approved. All action items had been taken care of.

4. Discussion on the upcoming ARC Meeting at ALA Summer

  • The meeting does not have topics for discussion like in the past. However, there will be table discussions at the end of ARC so members can bring ideas and use that opportunity to share.
  • Ms. Garnett raised the new and upcoming “anti-spam legislation” in Canada for July 1st as a possible point for discussion. It is discussed further below in 5.
  • Mrs. Schachter mentioned that OCLC was also looking at finding ways to have closer relationships between ARC members and the various regions in the U.S. Mr. Crocco explained that we have at OCLC a Member Services group headed by Irene Hoffman which mandate is to assure that OCLC as an organization continue improving member relations and her group might start working closer with ARC in the future.
  • Mrs. Garnett mentioned the need to reach out with various library school programs. Mr. Boivin has done this with some schools in the past but this is an ad-hoc initiative, nothing done systematically across the organization at this point.
  • The following OCAC members are going to ALA Summer:  Mrs. Romaniuk, Mrs. Lefebvre, Mr. Ireland.

5. Key topics/area needing to be reported on or affecting Canadian libraries

  • Ms. Schachter asked what was happening with the possible AMICUS “transfer” to OCLC as there have been postings lately expressing concerns with the possible loss of free access to cataloguing records. She asked if anybody had been hearing things on this topic. Mr. Lengellé agreed to step in and to provide up to date information to the Council. He indicated that LAC-BAC has identified OCLC as the only organization that could fill their series of requirements. Therefore, LAC-BAC believed it would be inappropriate to go to a full request for proposal for selecting the only organization capable of fulfilling all their requirements and this was why they went to the market to see if anybody could object to this position. LAC-BAC consequently issued an Advance Contract Award Notification (ACAN) pointing to OCLC as their selected organization to pursue negotiations. In doing so, if someone or an organization would object and could prove they could indeed meet all of LAC-BAC requirements, then the government would require LAC-BAC to go through a full RFP process. During this process, BiblioMondo has objected to the ACAN saying they have a system that could do the same. LAC-BAC asked them to substantiate that claim and that is what they are looking at right now (for example, LAC-BAC asked the company to have an operational and proven solution, also have a not distributed solution but cloud base, etc. BiblioMondo indicated that they are developing a second system meeting these requirements). Mr. Lengellé mentioned that the process is not finished and no discussions or negotiations with OCLC have taken place yet. If the objection from BiblioMondo is rejected, LAC-BAC could later on sit down with OCLC and start negotiating a contract. Then, there are two possible outcomes:
    - both agree on price, services, timeline, etc. and sign a contract or;
    - both organizations do not agree and then LAC-BAC will look at other options.
  • Mr Lengellé went on saying that so far, OCLC serves twice as many libraries as LAC-BAC does now (OCLC has nearly 1500 participants versus 750 at LAC-BAC). LAC-BAC has consulted with CULC, CARL, ASTED, and others during or before this process and they heard two main topics:
    - privacy regarding the patriotic act to cover ILL and other transactions is a concern.
    - small libraries might have a hard time to be part of the cooperative to get cataloguing services as the pricing might not work for them. That is duly noted at LAC and will be part of the negotiations and considerations.
  • Ms. Schachter indicated that she had heard of other possible issues. She feels that if this “transition” happens, LAC-BAC and/or OCLC will require a fair bit of communication to inform the community of their options. Mr. Lengellé said that they have heard a lot of these comments through social media, meetings, etc. He reported the example of the National Library of Australia that decided to cover for the access and membership for everyone in the country. This is one option LAC-BAC could be contemplating if they can afford such a model for small libraries in Canada.
  • Mrs. Romaniuk also raised the concern of small libraries. Many of them tend to not belong to any organizations / associations and they are often an orphan group of libraries. They will need to be reached and communicated with if this happens as they count on the free access provided by LAC-BAC to complete their work. The discussion concluded in saying that there should be more information to share and talk about at the fall meeting.
  • Anti-Spam Legislation. Mr. Boivin indicated that OCLC is looking into this since we have many listservs where Canadian library employees subscribe to. It is still unsure at this point if OCLC will need to ask these individuals again if they still want to opt in or out of these listservs. Ms. Schachter said that this law covers Canadian companies (or emails sent from within Canada). She also added that when there is an existing business relationship then communications with those people is not the intention of the legislation. Also, it seems there is some timeline provided to give organizations a break to fix their processes if needed.

6. Idea for next CLA Symposium in 2015

  • Ms. Garnett asked Mr. Boivin to give an overview of what happened at the CLA Symposium which he did.
  • Mrs. Garnett feels that the upcoming ALA topic could fly well in Canada as well if it could be given a Canadian twist.
  • Mrs. Schachter mentioned that the actual formula for the CLA Symposium works well, especially having the award winners sharing information about their projects. This allows people from across the country to find out what happens in other provinces. She felt that matching these winners with a keynote speaker covering a high vision topic is a good mix for the Symposium.
  • Mrs. Payette indicated that many Quebecers are not going to CLA and that it might be of interest for OCLC to consider doing this as well during the CMD in Montreal. Mr. Boivin shared that thought and said that he would like to pursue with the CMD the idea for 2015 if they wish because it is too late now for the 2014 event. CMD is in November or December every year.
  • Mr. Ireland suggested considering approaching the Royal Society of Canada to present as they will publish their report this fall. Maybe one of them could speak about that during the symposium if they are not already part of the CLA program. They are part of the CMD program for the fall.
  • Mrs. Schachter invited everybody to bring possible ideas and topics for the 2015 Symposium to the fall meeting.

7. Next fall in person meeting: 2–3 October 2014, Brossard

  • Mrs. Garnett asked if the OCAC delegates could visit the Brossard Public library if the meeting was going to be at the OCLC Canada office and Mrs. Payette is welcoming everybody to her library. This will be discussed with Mr. Boivin in order to properly schedule this in the agenda of the next meeting.
  • Mrs. Payette also mentioned considering visiting the BAnQ if most of the delegates had not been there yet. All sounded agreeable to the idea. 
  • Mr. Boivin indicated that he is also considering scheduling a possible VDX User Group Meeting on October 2nd, before the OCAC meeting. It has been over a year since this happened and knowing many VDX users are in Quebec, this might be a good opportunity to share updated information as to the future of VDX.
  • Mr. Boivin confirmed that he will be calling for agenda items for the next OCAC meeting in September and that everybody is welcome to share ideas before then.

8. Other business

  • Mrs. Payette indicated that the terms and conditions for EZproxy are now in French.
  • Mr. Boivin indicated that Mary DeYoung will join the Council at the next meeting as the newly elected Global Council delegate from Canada. She is also the actual CLA President.

9. End of the meeting

  • The meeting is adjourned at 14h05.
Actions required before the next meeting Responsibility
See with the 2015 CMD Program Committee if a Symposium could be delivered like at CLA. Daniel Boivin and Mrs. Payette (?)
Discuss touring the Brossard Public Library and/or the BAnQ library at the next OCAC meeting in Brossard. Daniel Boivinwith Mrs. Payette and/or Mrs. Roussel
Inform Marie DeYoung that the is expected to join the OCAC meetings. Daniel Boivin