English

OCLC Canada Advisory Council

Conference meeting minutes - 13 March 2012

Present:

  • Diane Beattie, Acting Director, Open Content Division, Services Branch, Resource Discovery Sector, Library and Archives Canada
  • Gwen Ebbett, University Librarian, University of Windsor
  • Hélène Roussel, Directrice générale, Direction générale de la diffusion, Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec
  • Joseph Hafner, Associate Director – Collection Services, McGill University Library
  • Bill Maes, University Librarian, Dalhousie University
  • Lisa O'Hara, Head, Technical Services, University of Manitoba Libraries
  • Pam Bjornson, Director General, CISTI
  • Joyce Garnett, University Librarian, Western University
  • Bruce Crocco, Vice-President, Library Services for the Americas, OCLC
  • Daniel Boivin, Executive Director, OCLC Canada, Latin America & the Caribbean

Absent:

  • Debbie Schachter, Director, Learning Resources, Douglas College
  • Mary-Jo Romaniuk, Acting Chief Librarian, University of Alberta

Submitted Agenda:

  1. Opening of the meeting (Chair: Hélène Roussel)
  2. Review the minutes of the September 2011 meeting
  3. Review of Global Council agenda for the April meeting: more precisely, consider discussing the following points and bring any Canadian perspectives to these:
    1. Election of GC president elect
    2. Election of 2 board members
    3. eContent discussion
    4. Credit discussion
    5. Open Linked Data
    6. RDA
  4. Key topics/areas needing to be reported on or affecting Canadian Libraries
  5. ARC Update (Bill Maes)
  6. CLA update (ARC presentation, Symposium and “How Library Stack up” document - Daniel Boivin)
  7. OCAC meeting structure (number of calls and in-person meeting,need a call before June ARC meeting?)
    • In-Person meeting on October 16-17, 2012 (just before NetSpeed in Edmonton?
  8. Changes to the Charter required?
  9. Data Centre in Canada (Gene Oliver, Executive Director, Systems Management)
  10. Next meeting date (June or Oct.?)
  11. Other business
  12. End of the meeting

1. Opening of the meeting, welcoming new members and agenda approval:

  • Agenda approved as submitted.

2. Review the minutes of the September 2011 meeting (update, questions):

  • Accepted without changes.

3. Review of Global Council agenda for the April meeting, more precisely, consider discussing the following points and bring any Canadian perspectives to these :

  1. Election of GC president elect
  2. Election of 2 board members
  3. eContent discussion
  4. Credit discussion
  5. Open Linked Data
  6. RDA
  • Global Council (GC) President’s election: The deadline to “apply” was February 15th and it is too late for one of the Canadian delegates to run. A discussion on how to adopt a strategy to make sure the Canadian delegates are more informed of this process took place. It is suggested to bring this topic to future meetings to keep the idea of running for this position for one of the Canadian delegate in mind and be ready to run if someone is interested.
  • Board members’ election: The nominating deadline for the Board is past as it also was on February 15th. Mr. Crocco indicated that the election committee of the Global Council should have identified by now around four candidates for the two positions as they select the slate within all the applicants. The names will be introduced at beginning of the GC meeting.
  • eContent discussion: Impact of e-resources on libraries: Ms. Roussel wanted to know if anybody had seen studies on this topic which is more management oriented than end users oriented but this seems to be a greater need for libraries these days. Leasing vs owning, budget, access to eBooks, circulation, are all issues coming back and being experienced in libraries. It would be helpful to find out if libraries need less staff in technical services, need less library space, need more IT because the library is offering more eBooks and what has been the impact of transitioning from “p” to “e”. Mr. Crocco indicated that Karen Calhoun in her last publication with OCLC addressed the end user experience while using metadata for discovery and this is a bit in relation with the topic that will be discussed at the next GC. Lynn Connaway might have also published something from the office or research. Mr. Boivin will be asking her directly. If this angle of the “e” challenge is not addressed during the GC discussion, the Canadian delegates should make sure to raise it up and ask if it could be considered as a potential research for a GC task force or OCLC.
  • Credit discussion: This topic originated from the Cost Sharing Models Task Force discussions and recommendations. It was recommended to consider reviewing the credit models in place at OCLC to propose changes, modifications and/or additions since the actual model has been in used for almost 30 years. The Task Force felt that there might be better ideas for giving incentives to contributing libraries in 2012 than the ones offered and knowing that OCLC is developing a “shared” platform through WorldShare, there could be other ideas for “credits” regarding how the platform is being used. Moreover, the actual model works well mostly in US and Canada. Practically no credits or little credits are being passed to libraries in other parts of the world for various reasons (not much original records sent to WorldCat or ILL being done on a regular basis, work through distributors, etc.) and that is another reason to try to review what is in place. Outside North America, some libraries might not see the same benefits and such a review might improve the situation by expanding the credit model or introducing new models. Mr. Boivin reminded the group how the credits were actually applied for cataloguing (for original records for example) and ILL (loaning items) which are mainly the only two areas where a library can receive regular credits. QuestionPoint libraries become member when they decide to be part of the global knowledge base but no credits are offered. The Digital Gateway facilitates the contribution of original records for digital content but no credits are offered and no membership status comes with contributing through the Gateway. Therefore, the revision of the credit models is still happening at OCLC and the progress will be shared at GC. Ms. Garnett indicated that the Scholar’s Portal has some incentives in place as well and that was helping and working well. For example, a library gets credits/incentives if they use the system/portal more.
  • Open Linked data: Mr. Boivin and Mr. Crocco briefly explained that this will probably be related with the use of WorldCat metadata, exposing the WorldCat records to allow greater linking and furthering access to the libraries’ data and information. Europeana is an example of making data openly available to create links to keep on moving forward with one’s search. The discussion at GC is to clarify how OCLC could increase its participation in this area. Library and Archives Canada is involved with a project with Heritage Network. They released a linked open data site on the First World War with information coming from Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario and Manitoba as a proof of concept. Right now, the site uses more metadata than digital content. It includes archival and library material. They are hoping to develop best practices through this initiative and to develop some crosswalk from MARC to RDF and clarify how RDA will fit in there. This will be a great first step to show how to move forward with open linked data at a national scope level. Ms. Garnett shared this link on the topic found at the OCLC site.
  • RDA: Chris Oliver from McGill is editing the publication with ALA. She works half time on this. The French translation of the RDA is moving along nicely between the three National Libraries and ASTED. Joyce says someone estimated that the implementation of RDA in libraries could take as much as 12 years. Mr. Hafner said that LC plans to have in 2013 all their staff trained to use RDA. The first RDA phase is using MARC but subsequent phases will be using a more open format (XML, DC or else). Mr. Hafner indicated that “only then will the full benefits of RDA be realized”.

4. Key topics/areas needing to be reported on or affecting Canadian Libraries

  • Nothing to share it seems!

5. ARC Update (Bill Maes)

  • The executive committee is working on an action plan for 2012-13. Recognition to move to a more regional approach seems to take place: east, west, south, north or else. In these “sub-regions”, they plan to identify and work with ambassadors that will be attending local conferences, etc. They are also considering moving the ARC general meeting away from ALA, and possibility any major conferences. They are looking at the EMEA model which is not associated with any conferences and to have maybe a separate ARC meeting / Symposium on its own. The actual challenge is that the ALA conference is so large that it interferes with the ARC meeting instead of helping. They are considering possibly having some small/regional ones and one large meeting. OCAC is like that at the regional level and this model or parts of it could be duplicated in some regions. But, everybody needs to remember that if these meetings are not with any major conferences in a given region, this means more traveling expenses to the participants and/or OCLC and that becomes expensive for all very quickly. There is also now a task force to improve the ARC relationship with archives and museums. ARC has invited EMEA to be part of this task force. If this works out, they will consider “globalizing” the idea. Some of these discussions will occur at the next GC in April to keep the brainstorming going. There are also some proposals coming forward to change the ARC bylaws: a) change the members’ terms/timing to avoid the problem that was referred to earlier in Canada (all delegates terms end at the same time), b) replacing delegates with alternates permanently if a delegate miss more than x meetings -- what should be done and ARC and GC wants clearer terms for this (same with conference calls attendance).
  • Next meeting is at ALA in June. It will be an ARC Symposium and a meeting like for the last time.
  • Voting is not closed and some participants agreed to forward the voting information on some list: CULC and OCUL for example.

6. CLA update (ARC presentation, Symposium and “How Libraries Stack up” document - Daniel Boivin)

  • Mr. Boivin provided an update on this event. He indicated that a keynote speaker has been found in Stephen Abram and that they had received 7 proposals for presenting innovative and collaborative projects that took place in Canada. They will keep three or four.
  • The Symposium will start at 9h am and will end with a lunch at 13h.
  • The agenda is also being built but there will be time for an ARC update and a brief OCLC update during the lunch.
  • OCLC will also have a cake to celebrate its 15th year anniversary in Canada.

7. OCAC meeting structure (number of calls and in-person meeting, need a call before June ARC meeting?)

  • The discussion was around the value and need to have a call before every ARC and GC meetings because with the addition of a GC in the fall, this meant one more meeting for OCAC.
  • Everybody felt that it was worth having a discussion after the April GC meeting and before the June ARC meeting. Something in June is worth having even if we have a call in March/April just before the GC meeting.
  • With that information, everybody agreed to have the following schedule in place for OCAC:
    • Face to face meeting in the fall before the GC meeting;
    • A conference call in December before the ARC meeting in January (December so it is not too close to the holidays in January);
    • A conference call in March/April before the GC meeting;
    • A conference call in June before the ARC meeting.
  • Mr. Boivin will consequently do a Doodle to find a date in June for the next conference call (but not before June 9th) and one for December since this is also in 2012.
    • In-Person meeting on October 16-17, 2012 (just before Netspeed in Edmonton?)
    • Everybody was in agreement with the idea. It is proposed to approach Ms. Romaniuk to see if OCAC could meet at the U of A on the 16th.
    • It is also agreed that Mr. Boivin approaches the NetSpeed organizing committee to see if OCAC can have its professional day on the 17th as a possible pre-conference event with NetSpeed since it seems that the NetSpeed conference starts the evening of the 17th. This would reverse the meeting order for OCAC but could help gather more “members” to join and exchange with the OCAC delegates.

8. Changes to the Charter required?

  • Nothing to report.

9. Data Centre in Canada (Gene Oliver, Executive Director, Systems Management)

  • Mr. Oliver introduced himself by saying that his team is responsible for infrastructure, operation and security. That includes hosting servers outside the US. For WorldShare, his group did a proof of concept in Europe followed by more extensive testing with different service providers. They tested models and in July 2011, they selected Sabis. In December 2011, they set up OCLC’s first instance of remote regional deployment of WorldShare in UK.
  • They are finishing the installation of the Australian data centre and they are in process now of starting to work on the Canadian data centre. It is planned to be available for June 30th. Planning to also add things like worldcat.org at EMEA data centre. They are working with commercial partners to better leverage our presence and defining what to expect.
  • Security & privacy is very important. OCLC received the ISO27001 compliancy. At OCLC, there is a security officer and a privacy officer. Not many organizations have two officers working full time.
  • We operate 24X7 command centers.
  • Commitment Level: 99.8% for WorldShare. Legacy services have lower service level but they are very stable and it is already not an issue.
  • Redundant back-up in US is good for US libraries. In Canada, with the US Patriot Act, OCLC will back up the data in Europe so it does not reside and never goes to the US. We can also fail over the users to one of the EMEA data centers.
  • WorldShare is not a very storage intensive application but over time, it might become.
  • OCLC is working with the partner model as we rent the capacity instead of buying it which is more cost effective for OCLC. Overtime, this might change in some region but right now, this is the most effective model.
  • Mr. Oliver’s presentation will be on the secure OCAC site.

10. Next meeting date (June or Oct.?)

  • June before ARC.

11. Other business:

  • None.

12. End of the meeting

  • The meeting is adjourned at 15h.

Actions required before the next meeting Responsibility
Ask Lynn Connaway if she has published something on the libraries’ impact on the increased use of eBooks in libraries. Daniel Boivin
Do a Doodle to find a meeting date in June and December for the next conference calls. Daniel Boivin
See with Ms. Romaniuk if OCAC could meet at the U of A on 16 October. Daniel Boivin

1. Opening of the meeting and agenda approval (Chair, John Teskey)

  • No addition.  Agenda approved.

2. Review the minutes of the May OCAC meeting (update, questions)

  • Accepted as presented.

3. Update on the Americas Regional Council (ARC)

  • Mr. Maes indicated that the nomination's committee met at ALA to continue their discussions and they finalized the details "offline".  He had not heard from this committee anything up to earlier this month.   The committee might meet during Global Council (GC) but he is not attending since he is not elected on GC.
  • Mr. Maes and Mr. Boivin mentioned that the committee would have to sort through the nominations based on some criteria.  The main one being that a candidate needs to come from a member library within the three ARC regions.
  • Mr. Boivin said that Ms. Barlow wishes to see two names per position from Canada.
  • The communication's committee met at ALA and the plan was accepted.  Ms. Ebbett has not got the most recent version yet and this is why she had not sent it so far to the OCAC delegates. 
  • Ms. Barlow might have it so will need to ask her. 
  • The communication's committee is working on establishing topics for groups on ARC "Member to Member" site.  Eight of those groups will be monitored by members of the committee.  The groups should be: a) cataloguing standards, b) open source/access, c) user experience service & support outreach, d) shared collection development, e) emerging technologies / cloud computing, f) training & professional development, g) resource sharing and h) resource discovery.  All of these groups will be up on the ARC "Member to Member" site.
  • Mr. Boivin asked how many within OCAC were planning to attend the first ARC meeting before ALA in June 2010, and it looks like that three or four of the delegates will be. There might be more depending on the election results. 

4. Review the OCLC Global Council's Agenda, April 2010 Meeting

  • It was mentioned that this would be Ms. Barlow and Mr. Teskey's first and last meeting.  Members Council delegates were transitioned to Global Council so this is why they both were on GC.  However, they have both reached the end of their Members Council / GC terms.
  • Mr. Boivin will be asking Rich Van Orden if OCAC delegates could all be added to the "ucl" listservs (GC listserv) so that they can see what is being posted.
  • Mr. Teskey offered to send the note from Larry Alford to all delegates on OCAC.

5. Upcoming Global and ARC elections and Canadian candidates

  • Ms. Ebbett indicated that she is interested in running for one of the GC position as well as for the position on the ARC Executive.
  • Mr. Maes indicated he would also run for election on the ARC Executive.
  • Mr. Boivin confirmed that the following individuals were approached to run on GC:
    • Richard Dumont, University Librarian, Université de Montréal.  He accepted to run for GC.
    • Debbie Schachter, Director, Technology & Collection Management, Vancouver Public Library.  She accepted to run for GC.
    • Ms. Barlow to approach Jane Pyper, CEO at the Toronto Public Library.
    • Ms. Barlow to approach Melody Burton, director at UBC Okanagan.
    • Mr. Teskey to approach Lesley Balcom, Associate Director, University of New Brunswick.
  • It is expected that individuals from outside OCAC will be nominated as for the last Members Council's election. 
  • It was reminded that those elected to GC and the ARC Executive not already on OCAC would be added to OCAC. 

6. Questions/Update on NetLibrary and 3rd party database on FirstSearch sales

  • One of the few points raised during the discussion were concerning the continued availability and growth of French content on the NetLibrary platform.  The group knew that Mr. Boivin had been personally involved in recruiting Quebec publishers and the delegates felt it was important to continue adding French content to the eBook collection.  Mr. Boivin indicated that he had informed all of the Quebec publishers already partnering with NetLibrary and those that had agreements on the table about the changes and provided to these publishers the proper contact information at EBSCO.   Mr. Boivin believes that the EBSCO publishing group will continue the efforts but was unable to confirm for sure if it would happen and when.  He recommended the group to voice their needs to assure it would continue to grow.   
  • Mr. Boivin went on explaining a little further what the whole transaction included for NetLibrary and the FirstSearch databases.  He also indicated that it was not affecting the existing Canadian Cooperative Purchasing Program in place.

7. Changes required to the Charter

  • The changes to add "ARC Executive" to some sections as well as the following modifications to the number of attendees on OCAC were proposed:

Existing text in the charter:

"New Council members are appointed by the existing members with the help of the director of OCLC Canada.  Both will assure a diverse representation with the goal of balancing the Council geographically, linguistically as well as by library type.  There may be up to nine (9) voting members.  There will be three ex officio voting members of the Council, one each representing the Library and Archives of Canada (LAC), the Canada Institute for Scientific and Technical Information (CISTI) and Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec (BAnQ).  The OCLC Global Council delegates and the OCLC Americas Regional Council Executive delegate representing OCLC Canada will be members of the OCAC.   These delegates will automatically be assigned as voting members to the Advisory Council during their respective terms."

Proposed new text:

"The OCLC Global Council delegates and the OCLC Americas Regional Council Executive delegate representing OCLC Canada will be members of the OCAC.   These delegates will automatically be assigned as voting members to the Advisory Council during their respective terms.  There will be three ex officio voting members of the Council, one each representing the Library and Archives of Canada (LAC), the Canada Institute for Scientific and Technical Information (CISTI) and Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec (BAnQ).

Additional new Council members are appointed by the existing members with the help of the director of OCLC Canada.  Both will assure a diverse representation with the goal of balancing the Council geographically, linguistically as well as by library type.  The desired number of delegates is nine (9) voting members but from time to time and based on the number of nominees coming from the OCLC Global Council delegates and the OCLC Americas Regional Council Executive delegate that will not already be on OCAC, and the terms of services of existing OCAC delegates, this number may be exceeded as required."

  • Motion to move all the changes presented by Mr. Maes and seconded by Ms. Ebbett.  All in favor.
  • Mr. Teskey then indicated that he would chair OCAC until the fall meeting but that at the end of it, OCAC would need a new chair. 
  • Motion that Mr. Teskey extends his term on OCAC until the fall was proposed by Ms. Roussel and seconded by Mr. Rimmer.  All in favor.

8. Other business

  • None.

Motion to adjourn proposed by Mr. Rimmer and seconded by Ms. Ebbett.

Actions required before the next meeting Responsibility
1. Who has a copy of the final communication plan? Beth Barlow, Gwen Ebbett, Daniel Boivin (was never updated)
2. Mr. Boivin will be asking Rich Van Orden if OCAC delegates could all be added to the "ucl" listservs. John Teskey (done)
3. Mr. Teskey to send the note from Larry Alford.. Daniel Boivin (done)
4. Update the OCLC Canada Charter. Daniel Boivin (done)