English

OCLC Canada Advisory Council

Conference call meeting minutes - June 21st, 2010

 

Present:

Pam Bjornson, Director General, CISTI

Doug Rimmer, Assistant Deputy Minister, Documentary Heritage Collection Sector, Library and Archives Canada

Hélène Roussel, Directrice générale, Direction générale de la diffusion, Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec

Bill Maes, University Librarian, Dalhousie University

John Teskey, Director of Libraries, Univ. of New Brunswick

Gwen Ebbett, University Librarian, University of Windsor

Daniel Boivin, Director, OCLC Canada

Absent:

Mary-Jo Romaniuk, Associate University Librarian, University of Alberta

Beth Barlow, Chief Librarian, Surrey Public Library

Bruce Crocco, Vice-President, Library Services for the Americas, OCLC

Submitted Agenda:

  1. Opening of the meeting and agenda approval (Chair, John Teskey)
  2. Review the minutes of the March OCAC meeting (update, questions)
  3. Identify who within the actual OCAC is going to the ARC Meeting
  4. Review the Americas Regional Council’s (ARC) Agenda and discussion
  5. Other business (Dates for the fall meeting and Election process)

1. Opening of the meeting and agenda approval (Chair, John Teskey)

  • “Dates for the fall meeting” added to the other business section.  Agenda approved.

2. Review the minutes of the March OCAC meeting (update, questions).

  • Accepted as presented.

3. Identify who within the actual OCAC is going to the ARC Meeting

  • Gwen Ebbett, Mr. Teskey, Ms. Barlow are all going to the ARC meeting (possibly Mary Jo Romaniuk).

4. Review the Americas Regional Council’s (ARC) Agenda and discussion

  • Review the Americas Regional Council agenda ( http://www.oclc.org/us/en/councils/americas/meetings/agenda.pdf) and discussion (we will not be able to know the results of the elections before June 25th but you can review the List of the Canadians that put forward their names at this address ( http://www.oclc.org/us/en/councils/americas/candidates/default.htm))
  • The discussion started on the following theme:  “What are the burning questions from OCAC to the Board/Council”.
  • The OCAC delegates also on Global Council (GC) were able to clarify the relationship between the Regional Councils (RC) and GC and between each RC.  For example, some executive from the ARC are on GC as well but this is it.  There is no role from the ARC with GC as it seems other than asking the ARC President to report during the GC.  This is all good but OCAC delegates did ask if this was sufficient?   For example, shouldn’t the new member at large also be elected on GC when there are open seats?
  • One other question raised was if and how the ARC will relate/exchange with the other English speaking regions in EMEA for example?  Is this only through the ARC President if none of the ARC “Members at large” goes to GC?  In Canada, we have the OCAC to link the two level of delegates going to these OCLC governing structures (ARC and GC) but this is just Canada and not the whole of GC.
  • Additional comments were:   
    • Make sure Canada and LAC not forgotten in the ARC mix.  Participation from these two regions to ARC at mid-Winter ALA was limited.  ARC seems associated to ALA a lot and OCAC understands this to start with but what are future plans, if any, as the discussions have rarely had these 2 regions in mind so far?
  • Mr. Maes then explained briefly the process with identifying the candidates for election and its pairing.  Most of it was to assure that LAC and Canada would get sufficient votes for its respective regions.  If they had been listed with all the others, the concern was that none would have been getting sufficient votes to be elected.  Similarly, the committee realized that it was not clear enough to the people putting their name forwards that they could do so to more than 1 role.  Because of that, they had only 1 person running for vice-president / president elect.  Mr. Maes had to come to the plate to avoid delaying the process.  Mr. Maes proposed that OCAC discussed this challenge ARC had and in some ways what this meant to Canada’s candidates to see each other being paired in order to make suggestions to the ARC election Committee to improve the process for the next time.  Mr Maes also felt this was something ARC and GC needed to address. 

5. Other business (Dates for the fall meeting)

  • Sept. 30th, Oct. 1st is the date that is convenient to everyone. 
  • Need to inform Jean-Stéphan Piché at LAC since he is replacing Mr. Rimmer on OCAC.
  • Invitation will need to be sent to the newly elected on GC and/or ARC people to join us.
  • Mr Boivin indicated that the meeting would be at York Univ. and that a professional day is being developed with the help of Catherine Davidson from York U.  There might actually be two days before the OCAC meeting if the VDX user group meeting is before.
  • Unanimously agreed to end the meeting at 13h40.

 

Actions required before the next meeting Responsibility
1. Shouldn’t the new member at large also be elected on GC when there are open seats? 1. Bill Maes, the other GC delegates, Daniel Boivin and Bruce Crocco
2. If and how the ARC will relate/exchange with the other English speaking regions in EMEA for example? 2. Bill Maes, the other GC delegates, Daniel Boivin and Bruce Crocco
3. Is this only through the ARC President if none of the ARC member at large are also going to GC? 3. Bill Maes, the other GC delegates, Daniel Boivin and Bruce Crocco
4. ARC seems associated to ALA a lot and OCAC understands this to start with but what are future plans, if any, as the discussions have rarely had these 2 regions in mind so far? 4. Bill Maes, the other GC delegates, Daniel Boivin and Bruce Crocco