English

OCLC Canada Advisory Council

Conference meeting minutes - March 25 th, 2010

 

Present:

Daniel Boivin, Director, OCLC Canada

Doug Rimmer, Assistant Deputy Minister, Documentary Heritage Collection Sector, Library and Archives Canada

Hélène Roussel, Directrice générale, Direction générale de la diffusion, Bibliothèque et Archives nationales

Bill Maes, University Librarian, Dalhousie University

John Teskey, Director of Libraries, Univ. of New Brunswick

Gwen Ebbett, University Librarian, University of Windsor

Mary-Jo Romaniuk, Associate University Librarian, University of Alberta

Absent:

Pam Bjornson, Director General, CISTI

Beth Barlow, Chief Librarian, Surrey Public Library

Bruce Crocco, Vice-President, Library Services for the Americas, OCLC

Submitted Agenda:

  1. Opening of the meeting and agenda approval (Chair, John Teskey)
  2. Review the minutes of the May OCAC meeting (update, questions)
  3. Update on the Americas Regional Council
  4. Review the OCLC Global Council's Agenda, April 2010 Meeting
  5. Upcoming Global and ARC elections and Canadian candidates
  6. Questions/Update on NetLibrary and 3rd party database on FirstSearch sales
  7. Suggested changes to the Charter
  8. Other business

1. Opening of the meeting and agenda approval (Chair, John Teskey)

  • No addition.  Agenda approved.

2. Review the minutes of the May OCAC meeting (update, questions)

  • Accepted as presented.

3. Update on the Americas Regional Council (ARC)

  • Mr. Maes indicated that the nomination's committee met at ALA to continue their discussions and they finalized the details "offline".  He had not heard from this committee anything up to earlier this month.   The committee might meet during Global Council (GC) but he is not attending since he is not elected on GC.
  • Mr. Maes and Mr. Boivin mentioned that the committee would have to sort through the nominations based on some criteria.  The main one being that a candidate needs to come from a member library within the three ARC regions.
  • Mr. Boivin said that Ms. Barlow wishes to see two names per position from Canada.
  • The communication's committee met at ALA and the plan was accepted.  Ms. Ebbett has not got the most recent version yet and this is why she had not sent it so far to the OCAC delegates. 
  • Ms. Barlow might have it so will need to ask her. 
  • The communication's committee is working on establishing topics for groups on ARC "Member to Member" site.  Eight of those groups will be monitored by members of the committee.  The groups should be: a) cataloguing standards, b) open source/access, c) user experience service & support outreach, d) shared collection development, e) emerging technologies / cloud computing, f) training & professional development, g) resource sharing and h) resource discovery.  All of these groups will be up on the ARC "Member to Member" site.
  • Mr. Boivin asked how many within OCAC were planning to attend the first ARC meeting before ALA in June 2010, and it looks like that three or four of the delegates will be. There might be more depending on the election results. 

4. Review the OCLC Global Council's Agenda, April 2010 Meeting

  • It was mentioned that this would be Ms. Barlow and Mr. Teskey's first and last meeting.  Members Council delegates were transitioned to Global Council so this is why they both were on GC.  However, they have both reached the end of their Members Council / GC terms.
  • Mr. Boivin will be asking Rich Van Orden if OCAC delegates could all be added to the "ucl" listservs (GC listserv) so that they can see what is being posted.
  • Mr. Teskey offered to send the note from Larry Alford to all delegates on OCAC.

5. Upcoming Global and ARC elections and Canadian candidates

  • Ms. Ebbett indicated that she is interested in running for one of the GC position as well as for the position on the ARC Executive.
  • Mr. Maes indicated he would also run for election on the ARC Executive.
  • Mr. Boivin confirmed that the following individuals were approached to run on GC:
    • Richard Dumont, University Librarian, Université de Montréal.  He accepted to run for GC.
    • Debbie Schachter, Director, Technology & Collection Management, Vancouver Public Library.  She accepted to run for GC.
    • Ms. Barlow to approach Jane Pyper, CEO at the Toronto Public Library.
    • Ms. Barlow to approach Melody Burton, director at UBC Okanagan.
    • Mr. Teskey to approach Lesley Balcom, Associate Director, University of New Brunswick.
  • It is expected that individuals from outside OCAC will be nominated as for the last Members Council's election. 
  • It was reminded that those elected to GC and the ARC Executive not already on OCAC would be added to OCAC. 

6. Questions/Update on NetLibrary and 3rd party database on FirstSearch sales

  • One of the few points raised during the discussion were concerning the continued availability and growth of French content on the NetLibrary platform.  The group knew that Mr. Boivin had been personally involved in recruiting Quebec publishers and the delegates felt it was important to continue adding French content to the eBook collection.  Mr. Boivin indicated that he had informed all of the Quebec publishers already partnering with NetLibrary and those that had agreements on the table about the changes and provided to these publishers the proper contact information at EBSCO.   Mr. Boivin believes that the EBSCO publishing group will continue the efforts but was unable to confirm for sure if it would happen and when.  He recommended the group to voice their needs to assure it would continue to grow.   
  • Mr. Boivin went on explaining a little further what the whole transaction included for NetLibrary and the FirstSearch databases.  He also indicated that it was not affecting the existing Canadian Cooperative Purchasing Program in place.

7. Changes required to the Charter

  • The changes to add "ARC Executive" to some sections as well as the following modifications to the number of attendees on OCAC were proposed:

Existing text in the charter:

"New Council members are appointed by the existing members with the help of the director of OCLC Canada.  Both will assure a diverse representation with the goal of balancing the Council geographically, linguistically as well as by library type.  There may be up to nine (9) voting members.  There will be three ex officio voting members of the Council, one each representing the Library and Archives of Canada (LAC), the Canada Institute for Scientific and Technical Information (CISTI) and Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec (BAnQ).  The OCLC Global Council delegates and the OCLC Americas Regional Council Executive delegate representing OCLC Canada will be members of the OCAC.   These delegates will automatically be assigned as voting members to the Advisory Council during their respective terms."

Proposed new text:

"The OCLC Global Council delegates and the OCLC Americas Regional Council Executive delegate representing OCLC Canada will be members of the OCAC.   These delegates will automatically be assigned as voting members to the Advisory Council during their respective terms.  There will be three ex officio voting members of the Council, one each representing the Library and Archives of Canada (LAC), the Canada Institute for Scientific and Technical Information (CISTI) and Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec (BAnQ).

Additional new Council members are appointed by the existing members with the help of the director of OCLC Canada.  Both will assure a diverse representation with the goal of balancing the Council geographically, linguistically as well as by library type.  The desired number of delegates is nine (9) voting members but from time to time and based on the number of nominees coming from the OCLC Global Council delegates and the OCLC Americas Regional Council Executive delegate that will not already be on OCAC, and the terms of services of existing OCAC delegates, this number may be exceeded as required."

  • Motion to move all the changes presented by Mr. Maes and seconded by Ms. Ebbett.  All in favor.
  • Mr. Teskey then indicated that he would chair OCAC until the fall meeting but that at the end of it, OCAC would need a new chair. 
  • Motion that Mr. Teskey extends his term on OCAC until the fall was proposed by Ms. Roussel and seconded by Mr. Rimmer.  All in favor.

8. Other business

  • None.

Motion to adjourn proposed by Mr. Rimmer and seconded by Ms. Ebbett.

Actions required before the next meeting Responsibility
1. Who has a copy of the final communication plan? Beth Barlow, Gwen Ebbett, Daniel Boivin (was never updated)
2. Mr. Boivin will be asking Rich Van Orden if OCAC delegates could all be added to the "ucl" listservs. John Teskey (done)
3. Mr. Teskey to send the note from Larry Alford.. Daniel Boivin (done)
4. Update the OCLC Canada Charter. Daniel Boivin (done)