OCLC WorldShare™ Management Services
The first cooperative management service for libraries
Creating a different future for library services
OCLC WorldShare Management Services provide a unified, Web-based environment that streamlines cataloging, acquisitions, license management and circulation and offers a powerful discovery and delivery tool for library users.
Both replacing and standing apart from traditional ILS systems, OCLC WorldShare Management Services enable libraries to share infrastructure costs and resources, as well as collaborate in ways that free them from the restrictions of local hardware and software.
Most important benefits
Both replacing and standing apart from traditional ILS systems, WMS offers the following:
- Shared data. Aggregated data connects WorldCat, the WorldCat knowledge base, vendor records, local holdings records, publisher data, authority records and more.
- Entirely Web-based. No more need to purchase and update hardware and software, making it possible to reallocate resources to more important tasks. Increased visibility on the web due to strategic partnerships that redirect users to your library.
- Cost benefits. Generates cost benefits for your library, since you no longer have to purchase and maintain local hardware and software.
- Increased efficiencies. Helps your library staff to manage both electronic and print collections through a single, Web-based interface.
- Simplified workflows. Offers workflows that let you reclaim time spent in the back office.
- Time savings. Enables you to save time in the back office and to focus on those higher priority projects that best serve your users.
- Better discovery. Users can do one search across all of your library materials, making discovery and access easy, fast and more user-friendly.
- Apps from OCLC WorldShare Platform. Creation, sharing and use of new applications enhances your staff and patron experience.
"Our main aim is to improve student satisfaction. We feel that WorldShare Management Services can really help with that."
Emma Sansby, Head of Library Services, Bishop Grosseteste University, UK
Continuing the mission of the OCLC cooperative
Together with a library advisory council and pilot libraries, we have worked to pioneer one set of applications in the cloud. With WMS, libraries can share data and activities across as many workflows as possible - acquisitions, circulation, metadata and license management and others.
Serving as the foundation of WMS is WorldCat. Data can be shared not just between departments, but between libraries, improving in quality and relevance as it’s enhanced along the way. The result is having the information your users need to identify and select materials in an unified system that your library staff need for acquiring and managing them.
Watch this space for Worldshare Management Services events.
Bishop Grosseteste University go live with OCLC’s WorldShare Management Services
Bishop Grosseteste University is the first institution in the UK to go live with OCLC’s WorldShare Management Services, in this video Emma Sansby, Head of Library Services and Nicola Perry, Systems Librarian explain their decision of why they chose the service.
WorldShare: Concept and Community by Annette Dortmund
Presentation at EMEA Regional Council Meeting 2013 by Annette Dortmund, OCLC Product Manager. Looking at the problems libraries face and how OCLC WorldShare Applications can improve efficiency.