OCLC Partner Programs
OCLC is a global library cooperative representing 70,000+ institutions in more than 170 countries. On behalf of the cooperative, OCLC manages WorldCat, the largest, most authoritative and most consulted bibliographic database in the library industry.
Creating value for you and your customers
OCLC partners with hundreds of the leading publishers and application service providers in the information industry through the following partner programs.
What our partners are saying
- “Libraries' situations vary so greatly that the over-arching need is for options and customization. [Our OCLC] partnership allows libraries using WorldCat Local and OCLC WorldShare Management Services to customize the approach to discovery and collection utilization for their institutions, while exposing an even broader array of content available via EDS.” Tim Collins
President of EBSCO Publishing
- “This collaboration improves the user experience by streamlining the research process and improving search comprehensiveness. The information world becomes more complex every day and we feel that user innovations will require cooperation among library service providers. We're delighted to work with OCLC to make this happen.” Kurt Sanford
- “WorldCat provides us with a great way to send people to the library for books they want. It gives us really great coverage...you almost never see a book on Goodreads that can't be found in WorldCat. The service works well with our site and is easy for our members, too, being able to click right through to libraries.” Patrick Brown
Director of Community at Goodreads
- “Discoverability of our products is critical to serving the needs of our end users. We're excited to work with OCLC and expand access to our content for users around the world.” Frank Menchaca
Executive Vice President, Research Solutions
- “OCLC has been enormously helpful during our first year of operation, streamlining access to library holdings through its WorldCat API. Our strategic partnership builds on that foundation and broadens the scope of our collaboration, enabling SCS to develop an innovative collection analytics application. [We] look forward to exploring the full potential of the OCLC WorldShare Platform.” Rick Lugg
President of Sustainable Collection Services
Record creation and metadata services
OCLC is the leading authority on library data and metadata creation. Learn how to license WorldCat data and outsource your cataloging needs, including record delivery to your customers.
Contract Cataloging for Publishers
Outsource your metadata needs to OCLC. Our team of professional catalogers will convert your data into multiple formats, create high quality MARC records describing your content and deliver MARC records to your library clients for a true end-to-end custom solution.
Metadata Services for Publishers
Get more value from your content through the Metadata Services for Publishers program. OCLC will enrich your title data with WorldCat metadata elements, including subject headings, name authorities, and control numbers. Jobs can be completed in as few as three days.
Custom Data Feeds
Aggregating bibliographic data is time-consuming and ties up your development resources. If you are looking to license a large number of bibliographic records, OCLC will work with you to understand your needs and to issue your custom quote.
APIs and web services
Whether your business is serving libraries or end users, integrate a wealth of library data into your application quickly and easily through OCLC's APIs and web services. OCLC organizes its web services into three broad areas: Discovery and delivery, WorldShare Management Services and other OCLC services.
Discovery and delivery APIs
The WorldCat Search API helps your end users find books, movies and music available from thousands of library collections. The WorldCat KB and Article Exchange APIs direct end users to full text content available through their libraries.
Metadata services APIs
OCLC offers a range of metadata APIs that help you find and retrieve specific types of data from a record, including identifiers, subject headings and authority names—metadata that you can use to enhance or transform your own data.
WorldShare Management Services
WMS, a cloud-based management application, publishes APIs covering a range of core WMS functions (e.g., item availability) so that third-party application service providers can better serve their library clients.
OCLC’s Marketplace program provides a marketplace for publishers, retailers and content providers to generate sales to libraries and library patrons through OCLC applications, including:
WorldShare Management Services
Sell your content to hundreds of libraries that have deployed WMS–OCLC’s cloud-based management service–by participating in the Marketplace program. WMS libraries will be able to purchase content through the WMS acquisitions module.
WorldShare ILL is the largest interlibrary loan network in the industry with over 8,000 participating institutions sharing and purchasing content for their patrons. Content providers that offer article-level content or short-term loan content can reach these libraries and increase sales through the Marketplace program.
Sell content directly to consumers through OCLC’s WorldCat.org service. WorldCat.org generates 13 million page views a month from 2 million unique users. Make your content available as a purchase option to these users.
You control what content you want to make available and in which OCLC applications you expose your content. Contact OCLC to find out how to join the Marketplace program.
Publishers, library service vendors and consumer web services all work with OCLC to increase sales, improve information services, save on infrastructure costs and get access to high-quality library data. If your organization would benefit from a similar partnership with OCLC, we’d love to hear from you.