CONTENTdm at a glance
CONTENTdm makes everything in your digital collections available to everyone, everywhere. No matter the format—local history archives, newspapers, books, maps, slide libraries or audio/video—CONTENTdm can handle the storage, management and delivery of your collections to users across the Web.
- A complete solution for digital collections—CONTENTdm is the only solution of its kind to offer all you need to manage, store and share your collections on the Web.
- Easy to use—Easy to install and use, CONTENTdm software lets you focus on planning and building collections. Though the software can be installed locally, OCLC's Hosting Services makes it even easier by offering operational support and reliability at an affordable price.
- Flexible and fully customizable—CONTENTdm gives you full control over all digital resources, their descriptions, access and display. It also offers full support of Unicode, enabling you to provide access to collections in any language.
- Dynamic end-user experience—The CONTENTdm end-user interface has consistently passed usability tests with 97% of end users able to accomplish their tasks. It offers simple access to digital items, easy navigation paths, dynamic interaction with digital items and multiple avenues for discovery. Through CONTENTdm, your end users also can comment, tag and rate digital items, encouraging engagement with your library's digital collections.
- Ability to brand your website—Configuration tools provide a quick and easy way for you to tailor the appearance and behavior of your digital collections. Optimized for customization, CONTENTdm enables you to design your own website—whether or not you have programming skills.
- Serves as an institutional repository—PDF documents, theses, dissertations and reports can all be easily stored and managed in CONTENTdm.
- Scalable—CONTENTdm seamlessly grows with your projects, enabling you to upgrade and increase capacity without new software installations. Institutions with small, unique collections to statewide groups with hundreds of collections have selected CONTENTdm for their projects.
- Open, extensible and interoperable—Optimized for customization, CONTENTdm also accommodates institutions that want to make more advanced customizations.
- Discovery through WorldCat—The WorldCat Digital Collection Gateway provides you with a self-service tool for uploading the metadata of your digital content to WorldCat—the premier database of library materials—for increased discovery and visibility.
- World-class support and documentation—OCLC offers support via phone and e-mail, as well as comprehensive documentation. Additionally, help is available—anytime, anywhere—through the online User Support Center, which includes Help files, tutorials, a knowledgebase and other tools.
- Vibrant, global user community—With CONTENTdm, you become part of an active user community of over 2,000 libraries, archives, museums and other cultural heritage organizations worldwide. Users freely share best practices and locally-developed extensions through the CONTENTdm forums and User Support Center, regional user groups and other collaborations.
CONTENTdm's digitization partners
Digitization partners, Backstage Library Works and Creekside Digital, can manage a variety of digitization projects and both provide a wide range of additional services from data entry to OCR (optical character recognition) processing.
How CONTENTdm works
Your digital collections reside on a CONTENTdm Server, either installed locally or on an OCLC-hosted server. Digital items can be added from anywhere (1) using the CONTENTdm Project Client, which can be distributed among staff and collaborating partners, (2) through the Connexion client using Connexion digital import, (3) through a Web browser using a simple Web form, (4) through CONTENTdm Flex Loader for newspapers, or (5) through the CONTENTdm Catcher web service for batch editing metadata . Additionally, collections can be managed remotely over the Web. Your digital collections then can be made available via the Web and discovered using standard Web browsers.
CONTENTdm runs on standard systems—chances are you already have everything you need to get started today. For more information, see system requirements.