With Batchload, OCLC can help you:
Whether you need to update or cancel holdings, Batchload provides many options.
- Synchronize holdings: Maintain holdings or add records to WorldCat cost-effectively. You can even submit consolidated holdings records for a group of institutions through batch processing.
- Delete holdings: Easily remove out-of-date holdings information from WorldCat by sending a file of your local records or search keys for batch processing.
- Update local bibliographic data: Another Batchload option lets you efficiently add or update your local bibliographic data in WorldCat, making your information available to users of WorldShare ILL, WorldCat Discovery and other services.
Batchload processing can upgrade minimal-level MARC records from your local system to full WorldCat records. If your records are not in MARC format, OCLC can then convert non-MARC by sending files of patterned data.
Learn more about patterned data
Get OCLC-MARC from patterned data files
You may send files of structured non-MARC bibliographic data and receive OCLC-MARC records in return. Examples of commonly used non-MARC formats are Excel® spreadsheets, Access® databases and Word® documents. The data must fit a standard pattern, although a record may be a composite of multiple formats that meet these guidelines:
Labeled data: A field descriptor followed immediately by its content (AUTHOR:Smith, John TITLE:My Life Story)
Delimited data: Fields and records separated by a unique identifiable character or series of characters, for example, tab-delimited files; or, columns of data in a spreadsheet
Positional data: Field descriptors and their content related by record position, for example, fixed length formatted records
To process non-MARC records, OCLC “normalizes” your files into a basic MARC format and processed using the standard batch processing routines. This pre-processing step may extend the initial project evaluation period.
No matter how incomplete your cataloging, you can prepare files for patterned data processing if you have any of these access points:
- OCLC control number
- Library of Congress card number (LCCN)
- International Standard Book Number (ISBN)
- International Standard Serial Number (ISSN)
- Music publisher number (MPN)
- Government document number (GDN)
- Personal name-title
Batchload uses the numeric search keys you send as a single match point to find matching records in WorldCat for projects that cancel or set institution-level holdings.
You can submit search keys for a WorldCat numeric index in a word processing or spreadsheet file. You can submit a set of search keys for only one numeric index in a single file, or you can send multiple files, each containing search keys for a different numeric index.
Sign up for news and updates on cataloging and metadata.
Would you like to subscribe to other OCLC e-mails or provide more information on your profile? Providing more information now will make sure you receive the OCLC news that matters most to you.
A message has been sent to your e-mail address. Please follow the link in that e-mail to the page where you can edit your preferences. This is done to ensure that only you can edit your e-mail preferences.
Watch this space for more WorldShare License Manager news.