OCLC Local Holdings Maintenance at a glance
OCLC Local Holdings helps you maintain accurate, current holdings information.
- Local Holdings Maintenance enables you to share your library’s detailed holdings information with your library users, staff, and other libraries to support resource sharing activities.
- Local Holdings Records reside in WorldCat, the world’s largest bibliographic database. As a result, your Local Holdings data is available to libraries around the globe. Your library’s Local Holdings information is also available to libraries and their users that are using the WorldCat Resource Sharing service. Library users also use OCLC FirstSearch, the online reference service, to see which libraries own an item.
- In addition to serials, Local Holdings Records can be created for all types of materials, helping libraries make the most of the investment in their collections to support collection development activities.
- Maintaining Local Holdings Records provides information about your library’s detailed holdings as well as lending and reproduction policies. This information increases resource sharing efficiencies by enabling borrowing institutions to target resource sharing requests.
- Information in the Local Holdings Record can also be used to supply favorite lender information as part of the custom holdings process in WorldCat Resource Sharing.
- Deflection policies set in Local Holdings Records are used by WorldCat Resource Sharing to deflect requests.
- By making all aspects of the collection known, it also supports cooperative collection development.
- WorldCat local holdings records conform to the MARC 21 Format for Holdings Data.
- Any OCLC full cataloging member can create Local Holdings Records using the Connexion browser interface or the OCLC Batchload service. Local Holdings Records can also be updated in batch through the Local Holdings Update service.
- You can attach your Local Holdings data to bibliographic records created and maintained by national libraries and CONSER (Cooperative Online Serials Program) participants. Manual updating through the Connexion browser interface makes it easy to add a Local Holdings Record at the same time you're cataloging an item.