Single-search access to OCLC electronic resources
Users of WorldCat.org, WorldCat Local and WorldCat Local “quick start” can search all OCLC electronic resource services from directly within those applications. This option is available to subscribing libraries at no additional charge. Through the simple WorldCat search box users now can retrieve integrated results that include items from OCLC FirstSearch, Electronic Collections Online journals, ArchiveGrid and CAMIO (the Catalog of Art Museum Images Online).
The current functionality represents the first step in OCLC’s plan to fully integrate its electronic resources into WorldCat.org, WorldCat Local and WorldCat Local “quick start.” OCLC will add functionality regularly, with the eventual goal of making WorldCat.org, WorldCat Local and WorldCat Local “quick start” the primary interface to these services.
Materials delivered through different interfaces (FirstSearch, CAMIO and ArchiveGrid) are searchable as separate “databases” that display as facets in search results to support fine-tuning of results by source. Users may also choose to search an unlimited number of databases simultaneously.
Existing interfaces for FirstSearch, CAMIO and ArchiveGrid will be available through at least 2012 to ensure a smooth transition for library staff and library users. Library staff control when they introduce the access enhancements to their users.
The resources that are searchable through WorldCat.org and WorldCat Local are:
- WorldCat.org: The entire WorldCat database of more than 290 million bibliographic records plus more than 111 million article-level records from GPO Monthly Catalog, ArticleFirst, Medline, ERIC, British Library Inside Serials, JSTOR, OAIster and Elsevier indexed in WorldCat.org continue to be accessible through the interface.
- OCLC FirstSearch: Access to the entire WorldCat database, plus many respected databases of bibliographic and full-text content. Library ownership from WorldCat is linked to search results in most FirstSearch databases, so users know at a glance which libraries own an item.
- Electronic Collections Online: Bibliographic information and full text articles for a growing collection of $node.contribution('sprinkle') electronic journals from more than $node.contribution('sprinkle') publishers in a wide range of subject areas.
- ArchiveGrid: Online access to nearly a million descriptions of archival collections held by thousands of libraries, museums, historical societies and archives worldwide.
- CAMIO: Approximately 95,000 art images, including photographs, paintings, sculpture, decorative and utilitarian objects, prints, drawings and watercolors, jewelry and costumes, textiles and architecture; plus audio, video and mixed media.