Migration information for OCLC WorldShare Metadata
Libraries currently using the eSerials Holdings service should review the information below to maintain their electronic resource holdings in WorldCat. The complete management of WorldCat holdings for electronic materials and delivery of MARC records is now available with the WorldCat knowledge base through OCLC WorldShare Metadata Collection Manager. As a result, OCLC will discontinue the eSerials Holdings service in its current form as of March 1, 2014.
About the WorldCat knowledge base
The WorldCat knowledge base offers similar benefits to those of your current service but includes expanded functionality you can use now or in the future. It combines data about your library's electronic resources and linking features to enable access to all of your electronic resources enabling you to maintain this information in a single place. It includes title-level information as well as coverage representation. The WorldCat knowledge base exists within OCLC WorldShare Metadata Collection Manager. Not only can you automatically manage WorldCat holdings, but you also have the option to receive MARC records for these titles with ongoing updates. This provides your users with seamless access to e-books and other electronic materials via your catalog and other discovery tools.
After your library builds your knowledge base instance once by selecting your specific collections from the global knowledge base:
- Your holdings are maintained in WorldCat and any other applications using this data are kept up to date via automated processes.
- At no additional charge, your library has the option to receive WorldCat MARC records. You have numerous options to customize your records with your library-specific information such as URLs and proxy information.
- You can synchronize your holdings with third-party systems you use to track your electronic resources and you can manage your electronic holdings in a single interface.
- Attend the recorded training session linked on this page.
- Please submit the request form if your library does not currently use WorldShare Metadata/the WorldCat knowledge base in the WorldShare interface. The service is included in your Cataloging Subscription.
OCLC Order Services will then send you a URL and credentials so you can establish a password for the WorldShare interface.
Training: What’s Next for the eSerials Holdings Service?
Recorded on September 12, 2013