The UnityUK service delivers leading edge functionality for union catalogue management, cross database searching, holdings and item location and integrated interlibrary loans workflow.
- Simple and advanced searching of multiple sources including UnityUK, COPAC and the British Library files
- Accurate, up-to-date information available for every request
- Reduced turn-around times
- Improved request tracking
- Streamlined workflow
- Management of incoming requests via lender functionality
- UnityUK has proven performance at a range of library sites that represent all of the main LMS' currently in operation
OCLC works with both The Combined Regions and the UnityUK member community to shape the future of the service and inter-lending in the UK. Community events and activities encourage sharing of best practice amongst members, development of ideas as well as discussions about plans for the UnityUK service, including:
- Annual regional user groups
- Members website area, offering training videos, quick guides and extensive FAQs
- Dedicated mailing list
- Regular programme of web based training sessions
Data quality is key to UnityUK and underpins the ongoing success of the service.
- Regular member contributions ensure the UnityUK physical union catalogue is kept thoroughly up-to-date.
- An ongoing programme of data improvement ensures accuracy and cleanliness of data, including de-duplication of ISBNs, removal of items that are no longer held by the library and retro-fitting of MARC data into appropriate fields.
- Libraries who have signed up for Worldcat.org have their data uploaded through their UnityUK contribution so they only provide their data once and it is maintained in both systems.
UnityUK by the numbers…
- Total Inter-Library Loan Requests in 2008: 233,187
- Total Records to January 2009: 9,496,790
- Total Holdings to January 2009: 50,188,029
- Regular data contributions from 90 members
OCLC provide a range of support services that help member libraries make the best use of their subscription to UnityUK. These free-of-charge services include:
- Training—a programme of web-based training sessions are on offer.
- HelpDesk—The OCLC HelpDesk team support the UnityUK community in their use of the system and respond to queries received via e-mail, telephone or via the online helpdesk service.
- UnityUK Members Website—A dedicated website has been created for UnityUK members that offers information on all aspects of the UnityUK service including downloadable quick guides, manuals and training videos.