With EZproxy, you can:
EZproxy is easy to set up and maintain. It connects to a wide variety of authentication services (including LDAP, SIP, CAS and Shibboleth). Your users connect to EZproxy, then it connects on their behalf to your library's licensed databases to obtain webpages and sends them back to your users. Once you register the EZproxy server address with your database vendor, the vendor sees the requests as coming from an authorized IP address and therefore permits access.
OCLC offers two versions of EZproxy: a stand-alone version that your library manages, and a hosted version that OCLC maintains for you.
- The stand-alone version is available for servers running on Linux, Solaris (x86) and Windows®
- EZproxy hosted service includes all of the hardware and software components needed, as well as all back-ups, automatic system and software upgrades, and defined customization and implementation services. It is the first step for OCLC member libraries to implement a single, simple electronic content solution. That solution includes EZproxy hosted service, WorldCat knowledge base, licensed resource management and integrated link resolution.
Learn more about EZproxy hosted service
OCLC can provide a completely hosted solution for EZproxy customers. This optional service includes all of the hardware and software components needed as well as all back-ups, automatic system and software upgrades, and 10 hours of customization and implementation time from the developers. Whether you need some extra help setting up EZproxy or require off-site hosting of the servers, OCLC gives you solid support through the hosted option.
The benefits of using hosting include:
- Gain 24/7 reliability for e-content access.
- Add new database access in a matter of days.
- Receive regular usage reports to help you know what resources are the most popular outside the library.
- Free IT staff for other critical tasks since EZproxy hosted service requires minimal support.
- Save on servers and space, eliminating the need for additional investment in locally maintained hardware.
- Stay current with EZproxy upgrades and enhancements.
- Gain peace of mind as user information is maintained in a secure environment (institutional security certificate supplied).
- Receive 24/7 onsite monitoring of hosting hardware and software within OCLC's climate-controlled and restricted-access computer facility.
EZproxy hosted service is the first step toward OCLC member libraries being able to implement a single, simple electronic content solution: EZproxy hosted service, WorldCat knowledge base, licensed resource management and integrated link resolution.