From time to time, Dewey editors seek the advice of Dewey users on ways to improve treatment of specific subject areas. Look for those occasional discussion papers to be posted here with instructions for returning comments.
- Special notation for archaeology: Draft for comment by September 15, 2012 [PDF, 176.46K]
- Proposed expansions for Islamic law in 340 Law and related changes: Draft for comment by September 15, 2012 [PDF, 225.65K]
- Selected Topics in 297.1-.8 Islam: Draft for comment by August 12, 2011 [PDF, 116K]
- Historical Periods of Islam; Hadith: Revised Draft for Comment by September 15, 2010 [PDF, 153K]
- Historical Periods of Islam; Hadith: Draft for Comment by August 1, 2010 [PDF, 119K]
- 370 Education: Primary subjects and levels of education
- Contemporary Styles of Music
- Geographic variations
- Groups of People in Table 1 and 305–306: Draft Schedules and Proposed Implementation Plan (August 1, 2008)
- Table 1 —08–09 (Draft for comment)
- 305–306 (Draft for comment)
- Index (Draft for comment)
- Literary Authors: AutoDewey and LC Name Authority File (January 12, 2008)
- Table of Mappings: DDC 000-990 to table 3C—3 (August 7, 2007)
- Transgendered People: A Discussion Paper (June 14, 2007)
- Dewey Numbers in Authority Files: Discussion Paper (9/20/2006)
- Report on the Options in Religion survey
The Dewey Decimal Classification system includes five major options under 290 Other religions to give preferred treatment or shorter numbers to a specific religion. The Dewey editors report on the result of the recent survey.
For more information about options in religion, please see the recent report in 025.431: The Dewey blog.
- Segmentation Marks in Dewey Numbers
- Dewey Decimal Classification (DDC) Review Schedule
The Dewey Decimal Classification (DDC) system is constantly updated to keep pace with knowledge. Selected updates to the system are CHECKannounced monthly on the Dewey web site. Each quarter, updated full and abridged edition databases are released in WebDewey and Abridged WebDewey, respectively.
- Graphic Novels — an Update
Comments and suggestions requested by August 19, 2005.
- Graphic Novels in DDC: Discussion Paper
( Supplement to Graphic Novels in DDC)
- Draft schedule 741.5 Cartoons, caricatures, comics, graphic novels, fotonovelas available for testing
( Supplement to Draft schedule 741.5)
- Sample Title/DDC List: 741.5 Comic books, graphic novels, fotonovelas, cartoons, caricatures, comic strips
The sample title list is intended as a guide to help classifiers with the new distinction between 741.5 and 741.56 given in the February 2006 posting of CHECKNew and Changed Entries. The list is not intended to be exhaustive, but we do welcome suggestions for additional titles.
Users may respond to the Dewey blog, or send comments and suggestions to:
Assistant Editor, DDC
All copyright rights in the Dewey Decimal Classification system are owned by OCLC.
Dewey, Dewey Decimal Classification, DDC, OCLC and WebDewey are registered trademarks of OCLC.